Texas Swamp Diving Team does Memorial Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Dee,

I know that feeling well. Glad to hear you had a good time. And be sure to take plenty of pictures in Coco. Maybe I can get Brenda to come down to Austin for some camping and visiting in May.

We sure need to decide on the camp spot soon and make our reservations or we might be out of luck soon.

I did well on all of the tests and dives and it's official now. That's really some good courses to take; even us old dogs can learn a few new things.

Tell da Beast not to get all "worn out" cause it's getting to where we can burn a tank in the afternoon.....:eek:ut:

tony

Sterns Island was one of the places I wanted to be able to get to for our group.

For lack of better suggestions, why don't we go ahead and select the Dam as our headquarters? We can still hit Windy and other places with the pontoon boat, and I think the stairs over at the campground area are outside of the "No Boat" zone.

But I'm open to other idears.

--TM

been a while since I dove a stock tank....LOL...just pickin U.P. Refills are just a short drive from the Dam at the LDS or Barstows has fills on site. Both have nice campgrounds and scuba friendly egress and sunken stuff.

I saw some HUGE catfish last weekend, one on a night dive that approached 30 pounds!

Hey TM, I reckon I'll start calling for a reservation at the dam. What's your best guess at total campers? 16-20?

tony

Count Beast and I as campers at the dam.

tony...glad your classes went so well. How's your leg?

I'll probably say 20-25 campers since it would be easier to give up spots than try to get extras.

Is the Dam cool with you folks? Or is there a better spot (such as Barstow's?) Remember, if TrueTexan shows up, or we charter a pontoon boat, we'll need to take boat access (put in, and picking us up) into the equation.

After camping at Barstow's for several years, I think the Dam is the best bet because.....

Pros
1) Warm PRIVATE showers
2) Clean flushing toilets
3) Less crowding
4) Cheaper - $5 per carload vs. $15 pp/pd plus
5) Pavillions for protection from the rain
6) Electricity available.
7) Closer to vehicle for unloading
8) IOHO better vis, better underwater terrain, fewer students

Cons
1) Have to leave site for airfills. But it's a short distance with Nitrox available.
2) STAIRS

has a boat ramp just around the corner from where we set up for the Halloween dive. It's day use but still within the park area, just a bit of info that might add to the choice of Mansfeild Dam. Dee will attest that Barstows will most probably be crowded with divers and campers.

Let's have your input folks, cause we need to get our reservation in soon and last time it took several days just to get them to answer the phone.....

tony

I don't know if any of you have read my post on the PK 16-17th trip or not so I would like to update everyone here. At about 2:00 a.m. Saturday morning my friend who had been in a coma in Waco passed away and I had to go help the family and I left immediately, so I was unable to make it to PK with the pontoon boat, and I would like to apologize again for letting ya'll down, and I would like to also assure you that I will definitly be at Lake Travis with the pontoon boat, and if I can get one of my freinds here to help, I will also bring the hotrod/ski boat. Anyway I hope to see and meet everybody soon and I once again apologize that it did not work out at PK.

Originally posted by TRUETEXAN
I once again apologize that it did not work out at PK.
We totaly understand.

Besides, there were only 2 of us out at PK, myself and Fetch (Jeff) We had a good time exploring the stuff around ScubaPoint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom