Texas Flower Garden Trip report 3/21/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
You are invited to view Jim's photo album: Texas Flower Garden dive trip

Picasa Web Albums - Jim - Texas Flower ...

Texas Flower Garden dive trip
Mar 23, 2009
by Jim
View Album

Trip Report : Texas Offshore Sanctuary ŵhe Flower Gardens

Trip Boat: M/V Fling

Mix: Nitrox ~32% (all dives)

Number of dives: 7

Dive Location: 130 nautical miles off the coast of Freeport Texas
Dive Site: FG West Bank #5 Viz: 70+

FG West Bank #5 Viz: 70+

Oil Platform #389 Viz: 40+

FG East Bank #6 Viz: 60+

FG East Bank #6 Night Viz: BLACK

Stetson Bank #5 Viz: 60+

Stetson Bank #1 Viz: 60+

Assistant DM for a local dive shop for the trip.

Boarded the boat 8:00pm in Freeport Texas. Had a full boat load of people. Bunks were ok Small and tight, normal for a boat. All bunks came with pillows, blankets and sheets After briefing, pulled from dock at about 9:30. Lots of storage room for gear, however, be sure To get an outside rail, as the inside rail is where the wetsuits are hung during surface intervals.

Woke the next morning at 0600 to 3-5ft swells on the West Bank. Still dark and choppy, so I decide To forgo the camera and just keep an eye on the people. Fish saw on this dive: 3 medium hammerhead Sharks rounding up a pile of amber jacks and having a nice breakfast on them. 1 VERY large Tiger shark that made me a bit worried, cus it was still dark enough for him to be feeding.
Max depth: 104 ft - Bottom time: 42 mins. water temp 68 deg.

Dive #2 on the West bank made for a beautiful dive. No current, great visibility, divers becoming Very comfortable with the newness of the deep water locations. Lots of coral and tropical fish. Still No camera as of yet. Fish Saw: 2 Hammerheads and your typical tropical type fish.
Max Depth 86 ft Bottom time 36 mins water temp 69 deg.

Dive #3 First dive on an Oil Rig? If you have never dove an oil rig, I would highly recommend it. It was quite interesting to not only see the number of fish and the size of them, but also to see the Amount of life attached to the rig. This rig was located prior to the area becoming a sanctuary So therefore, they are unable to clean the legs which allowed a large amount of growth. I must say That to me, this is a good thing as it gives allot of structure for the smaller fish to live on.
Camera was taken on this dive. Interesting side note? No nudi branchs were seen. 1 very large Green sea turtle was seen. After the first 2 dives with the water being nearly 70 degs decided to wear a short sleeve 3 mm suit. Big mistake as the water dropped to 65 degs and quite chilly with the current.
Max depth 68ft bottom time 34 mins water temp 65 and chilly

Dives #4 and #5 (Night) were on the East bank of the flower gardens©µhe area was way more void of Life as the prior sites. This was of course until the invasion of the Barracudas. If you have never Seen a thousand barracudas swim over your head, let me tell you, it will take your breath away.They are just vicious mean looking animals with very sharp teeth and knowing there is hundreds Swimming all around is a poop in your pants time. Camera was taken on the #4 dive but not on the Night dive as my main focus was on the other divers.Best thing about the night dive? Warm brownies and ice cream waiting for us in the galley!!!!
Max depth 86ft bottom times 36 and 32 mins water temp 69

Dives #6 and #7 woke up the next morning on the Stetson Bank boat hooked on a bouy line Right next to the wall for some incredible dives good deep wall dives that had a screaming current And made for an incredible last dive. Everything you could want in a good open ocean water dive. Typical tropical fish such as Queen Angels and French Angels, but strangely enough I didnÃÕ see any crabs, or Å¢NY crustaceans for that matter. What was VERY SAD to see on both Of these dives were dead sharks. There were 3 dead black tip reef sharks. Non looked as if there was any trauma to them and all three look as if there were still fresh. Very sad I would prefer to see them alive and scaring the pants off of me!
Max depth 102 and 89ft bottom times 27 and 42 mins water temp 69

Final comments: GREAT trip and weather cooperated perfectly. The crew were excellent. Actually the whole trip was Really good and I would highly recommend it. There was plenty of food, the tanks were always Filled to full. One note though THIS IS AN OPEN OCEAN DIVE!!!! I cannot stress that enough, It can easily go wrong out there with the currents and being 120 miles off shore. When you hit Bottom take good readings and understand the area?. find your way back to the boat, cus it would Be a long swim to shore.

Happy Diving everyone now go suck gas!!!

Cool pix! I am going the weekend after Easter - cant wait!!

Yup, the FG is great!
The neat thing about the platform you dived is that it rests within the FG boundaries, therefore the legs CANNOT be cleaned without a permit. That provides for a LOT of growth that you might not see routinely on other platforms.

Yup, the barracuda are fun. For first timers, it's a bit un-nerving to descend thorugh the crowd of 'cudas that gather under the boat. And sometimes it takes a while to get used to them following you around like puppies. Watch what you light up with your dive light at night, though. Those sneaky barracuda will follow a diver and when your spotlight points out an unsuspecting little critter, the Cuda will pounce and the little fishie disappears in a silver flash!

Glad you had a great time.

Jim, who were your captains on this trip? (Just curious)

Nice dive report. Thanks for the pics also. I've been talking with my siblings for a long time about doing FG and you just renewed my interest in it.

Thanks again.

Excellent Dive report.....I'm anxiously awaiting the final word on if my trip will be a go or no-go this weekend. Seems the seas are a little rough, so I'm biting my nails and praying that Neptune will chill out just for the weekend. I've never been and I can't wait to get out there!

Thanks for the report!

*EDIT*

crud...it got canceled :(

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom