Testing new gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onefastpony

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, I did it. I bought my wife and I our very own gear. All of it should be here later on in the week and looking for the weather to warm up so I can put it to good use. Now the question is, where can I test all of my gear before I take it out in the gulf. I know there is the Hudson Grotto, but I'm still new to diving so I do like the viz to be good and from the pics that I have seen of the place that is not the case.

My father In law has a pool but is only six feet deep. Not sure of the local YMCA will allow me to use the pool because I am not a member. If anybody has any suggestions please let me know. Thank you and look forward to diving with you guys in the upcoming months.:D

Congrats on getting new gear!

Do a comprehensive pre-dive reg test. Here's a link on how to do it.

Do a good pre-dive check on the BCDs. Here's a link on how to do it.

Read the manual for the reg, BCD, and especially your computer (if you bought one).

Test the gear out in a shallow body of water first -- a pool or a shallow shore dive with "easy" conditions (no or little surf). Your father-in-law's pool would work. If you test the gear out in a pool, rinse it well in fresh water afterward.

Then do a couple of easy local OW dives with the gear. Dive conservatively with respect to NDLs, gas planning, and staying close to your buddy. Check your depth readings periodically against your buddy's computer or depth gauge.

I'm sure some locals will be able to suggest appropriate sites for a beginner with new gear. Have fun...

Couple ideas:

You are obviously going to need a dive shop for fills. Establish a relationship w/ them, as they likely have access to a pool or other area that they do basic confined water training.

If you are going to be diving salt water, you really want to do some of your test dives in salt water. On the South End of the skyway, Northbound side of the road there's a little rest area there, right on the water. Coming from Tampa, you can do a u-turn. If you park on the northern end of the parking lot, there's a little breakwater area that gets to about 15-20' deep. Just walk out and dive. Make sure and take a flag, but in reality there's really no need as you won't have any boats in there.

If you want to pay a few bucks ($37) and have a nice easy dive in clear water, Devils Den in Williston is a good place. Crystal clear water, max depth ~ 40+' average depth ~ 20'. They do a lot of OW check-out dives there, so very suitable for beginners.

Hope that helps and welcome to diving!

John

If your looking for a place to check gear that has air clear water and is within 30 minutes of Tampa I can get you into Crystal Springs in Zephyrhills. I run their dive program for them. Let me know if your interested.

I thought that location was closed and only being used as a "well" for bottled water.
What sort of expense is involved in gaining access there?

Weekie Wachee. For a fee you can dive where the mermaids do their show. Crystal clear water.

There hasnt been any diving at Weeki Wachee for some time now. I am told when it is re-opened it will be quite pricey. (Even much more than before).
I volunteer at the park and they wont even let us in the water............ :(

I thought that location was closed and only being used as a "well" for bottled water.
What sort of expense is involved in gaining access there?

They have decided to let a limited number of divers in. They are pretty strict (for obvious reasons) about access. Even when I have an instructor or divemaster wanting to take divers in I have to be present. Cost is $15.00 to dive there. It's a pretty cool "do it once and put it in your log-book" dive. I have two dates in May that I have divers scheduled for. If you'd like to come shoot me a PM.

Looks like you can still dive Weekie Wachee, but need to go through a registered dive shop.

http://weekiwachee.com/main/
Click the 'Diving' link.

Our shop is looking at the application process now. $200.00 yearly fee just to be able to come in. $75.00 per visit plus $15.00 per diver. The shop has to collect all sales tax. Plus they have exact hours you can be in the water - two sessions per day, and they have blackout dates. Almost not worth the bother.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom