Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Teric owners, have you required repair or replacemant service?

• No

Votes: 82 45.3%
  • Yes, repair

Votes: 35 19.3%
  • Yes, replacement

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Yes, multiple repair and/or replacement

Votes: 38 21.0%
  • Other, see post

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello. I was thinking of buying a Teric as lifetime dive computer (maybe to pair with a perdix if I ever go into tec), but this topic is a bit of a turn off. Shearwater customer service seems excellent, but a 40% (probably higher due to multiple people reporting sending the unit to maintenance several times) failure rate is crazy high considering this is lifesaving equipment and it cost a lot to begin with. I really like the interface and the language design (the manual is beautiful, yeah I'm one of those guys), but I cannot in good faith spend a whole month of salary on something that will have issue on a coin-toss basis.

Here in Europe the Teric is fairly expensive (1300€, 1000-1100€ in sale), so competition is real, to cite a few: the new mares sirius cost 800€ with similar function (and a cheaper transmitter) and a ratio i dive color cost 400€ in sale (but I really do not like the interface).

Any rumors on a possible Teric 2?

My DPFL/WIfe and I are BOTH on our fifth Terics since the first launch. Numerous various hardware/software issues but support/exchanges have also been excellent.

It's not a huge deal, but @tdp92 mentioned costs and I think the last time I shipped a Teric back for repair it was $25 USD or so to insure it. Not the end of the world, but if cost is an issue then multiple returns do add to the total cost of ownership of the computer. Not sure how close the nearest repair facility is in Italy or what shipping is like over there, but figured it was worth throwing out there.

It's not a huge deal, but @tdp92 mentioned costs and I think the last time I shipped a Teric back for repair it was $25 USD or so to insure it. Not the end of the world, but if cost is an issue then multiple returns do add to the total cost of ownership of the computer. Not sure how close the nearest repair facility is in Italy or what shipping is like over there, but figured it was worth throwing out there.
I am no trying to tarnish the excellent reputation shearwater has, but a device that multiple people have reported having to send four, five, even seven times in maintenance...it's simply not a good product. I'm sure it's fantastic when it works, but we are talking about top-of-the-line lifesaving equipment that malfunction to a staggering rate (according to the limited statistics of the poll). It's not even a matter of shipping cost, it's a matter of owning state-of-the-art gear with constant fear that it may break down. If I owned a teric every time I check its battery I would start to crunch number in my head to check if it is broken. Reliability it's very important in this sport/hobby.

I am no trying to tarnish the excellent reputation shearwater has, but a device that multiple people have reported having to send four, five, even seven times in maintenance...it's simply not a good product. I'm sure it's fantastic when it works, but we are talking about top-of-the-line lifesaving equipment that malfunction to a staggering rate (according to the limited statistics of the poll). It's not even a matter of shipping cost, it's a matter of owning state-of-the-art gear with constant fear that it may break down. If I owned a teric every time I check its battery I would start to crunch number in my head to check if it is broken. Reliability it's very important in this sport/hobby.
Some of us worked around that issue by doubling down and buying 2. I guess some of us aren't too bright. :)

All that would resonate with me IF Terics were dying in such a way that they were causing people to have to end dives early. Or even to miss dives.

It's not like they don't work.

The problem that many of us have had is that the battery starts to run down faster than it should when it is stored. It's not the case - that I have read about or experienced - that people start a dive (or even a day) with a Teric that indicates it has adequate charge for the dive (or the day) and then it just unexpectedly dies on them during their dive (or even their day).

The whole and entire problem with Teric batteries is that people are needing to charge them while they are STORED more often than the manual says they should have to. Instead of needing to top up the charge every 5 or 6 months of storage, they (we) are having to do it once a month or so.

Shearwater does need to sort this out and fix the problem. No doubt about that. But, it's not like their failure to meet the manual specs of 6 months in storage before needing a charge means that is is a bad product.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom