Teric Mk II?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subsurface will do that for you. Run Subsurface-mobile on your phone and turn on Location Services (a setting in Subsurface-mobile) at the start of your dive day. It will log your position every so often. Then when you download your dives from your dive computer, you can tell it to match up GPS coordinates to dives based on timestamps.
:D

Wow! I didn't know that!! So I just have to remember to sync my DC time with the local SIM time and thats it!
I've been wanting to log the GPS location of my dives for so many years but never thought I should checkout subsurface on mobile.. damn!

Thanks for the tip!

- fix the wireless charging so it has enough range to work through a NATO strap, instead of having to remove the strap from one of the pins just to charge the Teric.
?? I just push the NATO strap through the pin a bit and open the space between it and the Teric. Then, when it is on the charger, I can cinch it back up to make sure it is solidly seated. Nice on a bouncy liveaboard.

Other than that, I'd like most of the things on your list too. You have 13 things on your list, and 7 of them are really for the technical diver.

?? I just push the NATO strap through the pin a bit and open the space between it and the Teric. Then, when it is on the charger, I can cinch it back up to make sure it is solidly seated. Nice on a bouncy liveaboard.

Other than that, I'd like most of the things on your list too. You have 13 things on your list, and 7 of them are really for the technical diver.

That is a good thought. I will try that the next time I need to charge my Teric.... which will be while, now that they are fixed and hold a charge so well...

For the tech stuff, well, yeah. But, if they don't want the Teric to be equally for tech divers, there is a whole bunch of stuff they could have just left out. :D

I posted these in a thread months ago just adding here for posterity. Ways the Teric could be even better:
  • Thinner
  • Multiple size choices
  • Multiple color / finish choices
  • Upgraded memory, cpu, screen resolution / contrast
  • Smaller / even more reliable / more transmitter capacity air integration
  • Longer battery life
  • Ability to tell you which way is out of a cave if you get lost... cave GPS!
  • Ability to send an SOS to topside search and rescue resources who would then immediately come look for you way back in a cave while you are lost before your air runs out
  • Send / receive text messages
I also posted a couple of jackassy but extreme future possible ideas:
  • Powerful laser to tunnel through rock if necessary
  • Micro-rebreather / water O2 extractor

I think the debate of whether or not there's any value/need to have GPS in a dive computer is one of those things that folks will just have to agree to disagree. Some want it, some couldn't care less. There is no right or wrong answer there. What I didn't see mentioned though is the fact that the Teric isn't "a dive computer," strictly speaking. It's a watch that's fit for everyday wear, which happens to offer some pretty wicked dive functionality. Sure, you can argue it's a dive computer first, and you may not be wrong. Point is, how many folks do you see walking down the street wearing their Perdix or Scubapro G2?

In this setting, away from diving, GPS adds a ton of value, and brings it into competition with a much wider range of "smart watches" than just the ones designed for diving.

In that vein, I'd like to see them able to talk to Bluetooth/ANT+ heartrate monitors. Probably useless for diving, since both operate at 2.4Ghz, which sees >60% power loss after traveling less than 2cm through water. But again, it makes it a viable competitor to fitness trackers.

Personally, I don't see the benefit of a Teric over a Perdix or similar - in its current form, it's just a watch that happens to be a [from what I hear] great dive computer. If it could replace my fitness tracker/cell phone on runs/rides, or map hikes like my current watch can, it would definitely be more attractive to me. Clearly I'm not the only one who value their watch as more than just a watch these days. A couple relatively common features added convert the Teric from a dive computer that also works as a watch, to a smart watch that also functions as a dive computer.

I posted these in a thread months ago just adding here for posterity. Ways the Teric could be even better:
  • Thinner
  • Multiple size choices
  • Multiple color / finish choices
  • Upgraded memory, cpu, screen resolution / contrast
  • Smaller / even more reliable / more transmitter capacity air integration
  • Longer battery life
  • Ability to tell you which way is out of a cave if you get lost... cave GPS!
  • Ability to send an SOS to topside search and rescue resources who would then immediately come look for you way back in a cave while you are lost before your air runs out
  • Send / receive text messages
I also posted a couple of jackassy but extreme future possible ideas:
  • Powerful laser to tunnel through rock if necessary
  • Micro-rebreather / water O2 extractor

You forgot 3D simulator of your dive and "ebook reader" capability to be able to read books while doing deco.

The only thing keeping me from purchasing any Shearwater computer is the limited number of transmitters that you can connect at one time! And that my wife would be upset if I spent that much money right now!

Subsurface will do that for you. Run Subsurface-mobile on your phone and turn on Location Services (a setting in Subsurface-mobile) at the start of your dive day. It will log your position every so often. Then when you download your dives from your dive computer, you can tell it to match up GPS coordinates to dives based on timestamps.

I use that all that time. Very convenient that it is very non-obvious to any boat crew that would be pissed at you "stealing their numbers".

I'm a computer guy and I had trouble figuring out Subsurface. As such I use Macdive, it has the same tracking functionality but my phone is Android so I can't run it. But I get the same thing, just takes a couple extra steps.

Back
Top Bottom