Teric Mk II?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

little to no value to me IMHO. Ho do you see it in use?
It records your dive site GPS coordinates. You can then knock it up against (or submit new sites to) Scuba Earth. There's a knock-off of divebuddy's site but I'm not sure how good that one is (scubaearth.com).

If you use some quality dive logging software such as subsurface, it can store your dive site details and present them to you using the integrated google maps.

This soft of thing is especially useful if you use commercial dive charters like any of those along the east coast of FL or the keys. Unless you rent the whole boat you go to the site that the captain picks. It's nice to have an automatic record of the dive site.

but their AI is a lot less reliable than the AUP design since it requires active pairing between the transmitter and the receiver vs. the AUP design which is one way broadcasting...
I used to use scuba-pro transmitters/computers. Once I got the right voltage battery in my TX, the thing was entirely reliable. Heck even before then it was still reliable. For example, I never once had to re-do the pairing between my DC and my transmitter. The process was simpler than the process for shearwater or ratio computers, too. All you do is turn on the gas with the transmitter right next to the computer. The DC will detect the TX and pair automatically. That's it.. no choosing anything in a menu or any other such nonsense. It just works. Whatever scubapro's TX setup is called it's one of the things that scubapro got right.

This soft of thing is especially useful if you use commercial dive charters like any of those along the east coast of FL or the keys. Unless you rent the whole boat you go to the site that the captain picks. It's nice to have an automatic record of the dive site.

You get caught here stealing coordinates.....

GPS on boat - check
GPS on Phone - check
uselessly on a dive computer - nope

GPS on boat - check
GPS on Phone - check

Not my boat - check
Phone back in the room - check
GPS in DC (or camera) - want

GPS on boat - check
GPS on Phone - check
I don't own a boat. It's a hassle to put my phone in airplane mode and then turn GPS back on, and to have had the foresight to download a marine GPS app. It's far easier to just use the one built into my dive computer that just works with no special preparation. Such a thing already exists, I just would like for it to exist in a shearwater. Your post sounds very reminiscent of the "not in my DC" posts that people made about wireless AI a few years back.

You get caught here stealing coordinates.....
What do you mean? I don't think you can own parts of the ocean. Wait, on second thought... I have a dive site for sale cheap. PM me if interested!

I would be happy, and just might buy a Teric ii if I had confidence in the battery. My Descent Mk1 has the GPS, but I don't think I ever paid it much attention. It does have a very reliable and long lasting battery, though.

I, for me, can see no value in GPS on a dive computer, ok well maybe a little for a consistent starting point for navigation but underwater nav is pretty crude at best, if it worked underwater that would be amazing (I know it can’t work underwater with existing technology) and something I would want.

It isn't about navigation but logging. Right now I use a GPS logging software on my phone and then get the dive site coordinates by looking at the dive start time. But having it on the computer would ease a few things.
1. It is automatic
2. I don't need to bring my phone on the boat
3. Many apps will then use the data to show descent and ascent points. Which allows you to see how well your navigation was for shore dives, or how far you drifted for drift dives.

It isn't about navigation but logging. Right now I use a GPS logging software on my phone and then get the dive site coordinates by looking at the dive start time. But having it on the computer would ease a few things.
1. It is automatic
3. Many apps will then use the data to show descent and ascent points. Which allows you to see how well your navigation was for shore dives, or how far you drifted for drift dives.
I haven’t logged in 47 years, I know where I am when I dive or if I don’t I don’t care, this is just justification for a gadget that has no practical, at least for me, dive use.

1. It is automatic

Subsurface will do that for you. Run Subsurface-mobile on your phone and turn on Location Services (a setting in Subsurface-mobile) at the start of your dive day. It will log your position every so often. Then when you download your dives from your dive computer, you can tell it to match up GPS coordinates to dives based on timestamps.

I use that all that time. Very convenient that it is very non-obvious to any boat crew that would be pissed at you "stealing their numbers".

I was contemplating what I would want in a Teric II the other day.

- GPS
- 46mm screen (instead of the current 42mm)
- allow bigger screen to be configured with one additional data field in OC Tec and CC/BO modes (match the # of fields on a Perdix in OC Tec mode).
- slightly bigger battery
- thinner bezel, so a bigger screen would not make an equally larger body.
- support for more transmitters. I also have a bunch and changing from single tank to doubles to other doubles to CCR means programming in different transmitter IDs for each different reg set I have.
- store more transmitter IDs and let me enter a short text name for them, so I can switch to the one I want when I change reg sets without having to remember or look at ID #s.
- sidemount mode for AI (assume T1 and T2 are the same size cylinders and calculate GTR based on total combined volume)
- support a ReverseGF ascent. I.e. I set GFLo/GFHi to (for example) 85/70. The computer then gives me an ascent plan that limits me to a GF99 of 85 all the way up to my last stop, and then holds me there until my SurfGF drops to 70. I can do this manually, already, by diving with GF85/85 and then watching SurfGF at my last stop until it drops to 70. The benefit of having the computer do it is correctly calculating TTS.
- support configuring a Final Stop of 30', instead of only 10 or 20 feet. Sometimes surface conditions are sporty and I know I'm going to want to deco out at 30'. Again, the benefit is correctly calculating TTS.
- allow changing GFHi during a dive - i.e. allow the same underwater operations that are allowed on a Perdix.
- fix the wireless charging so it has enough range to work through a NATO strap, instead of having to remove the strap from one of the pins just to charge the Teric.
- wireless interface and related module to attach to my CCR so that it can get wireless ppO2 readings from my CCR, for acting as a CCR loop monitor. And then also a NERD3 that has the same thing, so the NERD3 can show me my CCR cylinder pressures and my O2 sensor readings all without needing a cable to connect it to my CCR. Then I could also use my NERD for OC diving, too...

Easy, right? I'm surprised that isn't all done already. :wink:

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom