Tenkiller!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oronogo is a great dive....make sure you do a little extra cardio leading up to the trip. Walking up and down the hill is a killer especially with full gear.

Snagel

You got that right! :fire:

This next time we are taking my buddy's son's so they can lump all of or gear down!
They need some kinda trolly or cut down a half moon drive.

Thanks Avon! I will look into it. Now I just have to convince my buddy to tag along!

If your buddy isn't interested in doing it, and you need someone, I'd be interested!

Hey Jeni,
My daughter and I have been planning wanting to dive Oronogo as well... we're about 1.5 hours south so let me know if you need dive buddies.

Cheers!
Steve

I definitely need dive buddies. The only dive buddy I have locally lives in STL, and she is not sure if she wants to do Lakes/Quarries anymore. I do know one guy who may be interested, but I'm not sure. Up until last November I've only been a vacation diver. Now, I look to get in a dive anywhere I can. I've done 3 dives in a Lake in Austin, and 3 dives in Bonne Terre since November, so I'm still pretty new to non-vacation diving. But, I want to get in as much time as possible this season without needing a drysuit. So, I'm looking to make plans anytime! :)

If your buddy isn't interested in doing it, and you need someone, I'd be interested!

I definitely need dive buddies. The only dive buddy I have locally lives in STL, and she is not sure if she wants to do Lakes/Quarries anymore. I do know one guy who may be interested, but I'm not sure. Up until last November I've only been a vacation diver. Now, I look to get in a dive anywhere I can. I've done 3 dives in a Lake in Austin, and 3 dives in Bonne Terre since November, so I'm still pretty new to non-vacation diving. But, I want to get in as much time as possible this season without needing a drysuit. So, I'm looking to make plans anytime! :)

yeah.. i was planning to wait until things warm up (I only have a 3mm wet suit now unless the Easter bunny brings me a 7mm or I get one for my B-day). I read your post about Bon Terre... you may have scared me away from that experience! :shocked2:

yeah.. i was planning to wait until things warm up (I only have a 3mm wet suit now unless the Easter bunny brings me a 7mm or I get one for my B-day). I read your post about Bon Terre... you may have scared me away from that experience! :shocked2:

When do you have to wait until to feel comfortable with with a 3M? I need to get a wetsuit still. But, I don't know if I want to get a 3M or a 5M to start.

Oh no! I don't want anyone not to go, I feel bad, but I do like for people to know what it was like for me as a beginner. I had some different circumstances that day that many others might not have. So, if it's something you really wanted to do, don't not do it now because of what I said. :)

Sounds like a plan! I would love to get more diving in. Apparently you have done more diving than I have this winter. I am green with envy! I am itching to get in the water these days. Oddly enough I just picked up my first wetsuit. A 3/2 mil Bare. I am not a cold water diver.

We have a trip planned to Santa Rosa NM April 17th and 18th. I may do a local pool dive before then though. Especially if my new BC comes in soon enough! :D

Not sure about the lakes up there but our lake Tenkiller should be fine in May. I hear they are having a Wreck Diving training there this summer on the new helicopter! I want to make that one.

When do you have to wait until to feel comfortable with with a 3M? I need to get a wetsuit still. But, I don't know if I want to get a 3M or a 5M to start.

Oh no! I don't want anyone not to go, I feel bad, but I do like for people to know what it was like for me as a beginner. I had some different circumstances that day that many others might not have. So, if it's something you really wanted to do, don't not do it now because of what I said. :)

I'm comfortable in 3mm in water from 70 degrees and warmer. My little girl on the other hand is skin and bones and pretty senitive to cold so she starts to get chilly below at around 75 degrees so I'm probably going to get her a 5mm suit this spring... we didnt spend much time in deep water last summer because she got so uncomfortable so maybe that will help... she outgrew her 3mm anyway and it needs to be replaced.

I really think it's a matter of what you are comfortable with though. When we did our OW dives the water was 80 and we were both fine in 3mm suits. Last summer when did a couple of wreck dives at 60FSW where the temp was right at 70... people on the boat were diving in anything from 3mm shortys to 7mm farmer johns... go figure.

As for Bon Terre... I have family in STL and may still do it when I'm visiting them but the cold water and crowded dives sure give me pause... and you aren't the first person to mention those things on this board.

Cheers!
Steve

Find a good 7mm guys ditch the 3mm.
That will let you dive in 43 degree water if you want but right now is the best time to hit lake's and such due to no traffic! oh and viz.. :D

when I started out I moved from texas and its warm most of the time so a 3mm is the way to go. Moved back to Arkansas and hOly-CraP BaTMan! so my wife and I got 7mm farmer John style and 13 years later winter diving is the way to go for me, But it is not for everyone!!!

And on the Bonne Terre I went their while working in the area and My work buddy is also one of my best dive buddy's. so we went their looking to dive while we were their and did the tour as well as the boat ride LOVED IT!!!
But the price was not for me. and after what I have see as far as post it may be one of those want dive's but may never happen till a few things change. :depressed:

And if your up to it guy's and gal are up for it my best friend and I are going to ORONOGO really really soon so we should make it a joint meet greet an dive!

Last edited:
How soon is really soon? I'm thinking I'm all dried up and need some water time!

Do you wear 7m in the summer time in the Lakes around here? I dove in 63 degree water in a 5m and did alright. I had a hood and gloves on too, and it was a shorter dive at night. So, I'm just not sure what's the best thing to start out with...I have so much to buy!

How soon is really soon? I'm thinking I'm all dried up and need some water time!

Do you wear 7m in the summer time in the Lakes around here? I dove in 63 degree water in a 5m and did alright. I had a hood and gloves on too, and it was a shorter dive at night. So, I'm just not sure what's the best thing to start out with...I have so much to buy!

Well, I just jumped in my pool with my thin 3/2 mil Bare Rush wetsuit and boots! It was chilly. Not too bad until the return jet shot up my right arm and whew! :cool2: Not bad for under $40 though!

I am ordering a 7mm I think. The extra warmth will be nice I think and allow for year round use. With hood and gloves should be toasty. I used a 5mm last summer at the lake and was fine though even below the thermocline.

NO during the summer in just in shorts and hunting fish. no need for a 7mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom