Temperature Expectations in Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decompressionable

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking to train in drysuits and wanted to find out exactly how cold it will feel in the drysuit if I'm in 40-50 water (given no pesky leaks)??

thanks for any information.

A dry suit is primarily designed to keep you dry. How warm (or cold) you feel depends largely on the undergarments that you are wearing, as well as the amount of gas you put in the suit.

As said it depends on what you put in the suit for garments and air. The more of each you wear then more lead you will need. For me the idea is to wear enough that I am comfortable, not warm or hot but comfortable. Generally I'm comfortable but I can feel that there is cold water outside of my suit. The difference is that the heat loss is not nearly as great as in a wetsuit.

If you overdress then you will perspire more, it will condense in the suit, get you wet and make you cold. Like most of this stuff it's a matter of trying things to see what works for you.

In 40F the only real challenge should be your hands. If you are in dry gloves then you're all set. Other wise a good 5mm gauntlet or even a 3 finger mitt should let you have a good time.

Pete

I get cold after 30-40 minutes at 52F, even with dry gloves and pretty thick undersuit. I also use a 5/4mm wetsuit for 80F water, so you may not get as cold as I do.

With proper under garments you should be toasty warm in 28df water. We regularly get into the LOW 30’s and the danger is overheating not getting cold. For max protection go with good dry gloves.

Gary D.

As mentioned, keeping your hands warm is key. There's no perfect undergarment, just have to try them out & see what works. Most good undergarments will wick any water/moisture away from your body, so a little perspiration usually isn't an issue.

As everybody's said, it depends on the undergarments, but it also depends on the suit.

In my trilaminate suit, when I wade into the water, I can feel that the water is cold. I'm not cold, but I have an immediate sensation that there is something chilly around me. In my compressed neoprene suit, I can't even tell there's cold water out there. (I dive both suits with the same undergarments.)

The key to a dry suit is that the seals have to fit and keep you dry. No dry suit works very well if it leaks. And take my advice . . . Hiking or skiing fleece garments are not as good as diving undergarments. I started out with multiple layers of fleece, which I owned because I ski and ride through the Pacific Northwest Winter. I froze in 50 degree water. Proper undergarments made it possible for me to dive comfortably and safely.

With proper under garments you should be toasty warm in 28df water. We regularly get into the LOW 30’s and the danger is overheating not getting cold. For max protection go with good dry gloves.

Gary D.

I never feel toasty warm in a dry suit (trilam) when the water drops below say about 58 degrees or so (after many sets of undies and years in a dry suit) and humbly submit that Gary's post is respectfully of his own opinion.:wink: That said, I prefer my dry suit when the water is below say 72 degrees.

In addition to types of undies, YOU the individual will play a role as well. Everyone is different and will feel the cold in different ways. Some of the people I dive with are seemingly like polar bears and some of them, like me, get cold very easily and quickly and find that a dry suit only slows the inevitable.

I find that my dry suit has the biggest advantage over my wet suit when I get OUT of the water. The wet suit divers are still freezing in the winter air and I (except for my head and hands) am almost instantly warm again in my DRY suit. Nice!:D

Have fun and don't expect instant miracles concerning the cold but with a little bit of time and experimenting you will learn to appreciate dry suit diving.

As everybody's said, it depends on the undergarments, but it also depends on the suit.

And like some already added: On the person. Whatever anybody says I have yet to find an undergarment combo that fits into my drysuit and keeps me warm below 40F. I know it must exist but then I also need more room, and that still leaves my head out. There is nothing like painful face/head that refuses to numb down :)

In my trilaminate suit, when I wade into the water, I can feel that the water is cold. I'm not cold, but I have an immediate sensation that there is something chilly around me. In my compressed neoprene suit, I can't even tell there's cold water out there. (I dive both suits with the same undergarments.)

This is what I have started to wonder. All the good things said about trilaminate and how you manage different temps with different undies... yet the pressing feeling of the cold hits you pretty much immediately. Neoprene has great insulating quality, and even though I have no desire to dive neo drysuit year around I have a feeling that if I ever move back to where I am from (Scandinavia), I will be getting a neo suit because I won't be having much of a season otherwise...

Are you sure you do not get that feeling after a while in water? Cold, heavy neoprene engulfing you? I am planning to test a neo suit in some demo day (preferably in cold season) to see for myself. It sounds like such a drag to wear but I am coming to the conclusion that I am needing too much undies in trilam.

I've never experienced this "toasty" on a dive people mention neither in the tropics in a thick suit wearing a drysuit with 4 thermal layers.

"comfortable" is usually as good as it gets for me.

Water <8c i get cold no matter what. After about 20 mins that first creeping feeling of cold starts then just gets gradually worse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom