Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Fold up snorkel in BCD

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • No snorkel

Votes: 132 60.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My radio button would be "I have one in the bag somewhere and only use it when required." Have had to wear it during training and at Florida Sea Base.

I'm still a fairly new diver, and guzzle air, so having a flex snorkel at the ready helped me conserve some air when live-aboard diving -- swimming to the mooring line against the current, and also helped on a night dive when we surfaced a couple of hundred yards away from the boat.

I know a lot of experienced divers don't have snorkels on their masks -- is that because they mainly do dives where small boats follow you and/or quarry dives where you're never too far from an exit point?

I tried a roll up pocket snorkle but the mouthpiece pops off in the pool, and it is terrible to breathe from because of the narrow, crushed bore. Basically a POS. Assuming I might need it OOA in high seas why have that....

I share your concern with a fold up snorkel. Seems like they could fold up when you really need them in rough seas. At this point I am viewing the snorkel as an emergency device for the open ocean. You might be onto something with storing it vs wearing it.

Not much to add except that I don't like dry snorkels for scuba, they trap air and pull on your mask strap.

I have a flex snorkel with a valve gotten it caught and caused a mask leak many times. Thinking of going with a a contour and just placing the mouthpiece behind my shoulder. Not sure what will work best. Plans are currently to use a octo on a short hose on a necklace.

I had stopped bringing mine, but then a story a local dive instructor told gave me second thoughts. He and about 6 or 7 others were abandoned by a dive boat in a third world country because the seas had come up. The captain went back to shore. They had a dm with them who melted down and the vacationing Instuctor had to rally people to keep together while it took SIX HOURS for them to drift in to shore. He said he was really glad he had his snorkle. Note that the anti-snorkle thing really started with cave divers and now has spread to ocean divers.

But it is really hard to figure out where to stash one.

I know a lot of experienced divers don't have snorkels on their masks -- is that because they mainly do dives where small boats follow you and/or quarry dives where you're never too far from an exit point?
I wear one when I go snorkeling. I've never had a need for one while scuba diving. If I have to make a long surface swim I swim on my back. It's easier to breathe than trying to suck air through a tube and my fins stay in the water when I'm on my back, making it easier to move.

hasn't been moved out of my diving gear junkbox for the last 500 dives, maybe much longer.

Michael

I went from standard one to foldable one in BC pocket to rarely using that. I still have it (was only $20US) and do take it if I think there is any chance an unusual current change could take me far afield. Otherwise, I fear it may slip out of the pocket with that 10 pound weight behind the pocket.
I must have in the area of 20 snorkels that I have found over the years, some while diving, some topside. Possibly these are a result of divers throwing them away....?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom