teens with own gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rescue teen

Registered
Reaction score
hi all you teen divers i was just curious how many of you have your own gear and if u can suggest some good starter gear

rescue teen:
hi all you teen divers i was just curious how many of you have your own gear and if u can suggest some good starter gear

I'll speak for my 14 year-old. She has mask, fins, snorkel of course. She has a Mares piston 1st stage regulator, Seaquest BC, and a 3mm shortie wetsuit. This way, all we need to get for a dive are tanks and weights.

I have all my own gear.

Deep Sea Supply BP/W
Mares Quattros
Mares X-Vision
AquaLung Micra on long hose
3mm full and 3mm shorty
and other bits and pieces

rescue teen:

He's not a teen yet, but my son has a Triple-L Pegasus back-inflate BC, an Apeks AT20 regulator with a Suunto SPG, a Bare 3mm fullsuit, and a Triple-L gear bag. No computer, so he uses our tables. No light yet, either. We picked the Triple-L primarily based on price for a back-inflate since it may only fit him for a couple of years. The Apeks won't be much bood for ice diving, but he won't be doing any of that. We've been very pleased with Apeks regs for quality and breathing characteristics. My recommendation is to avoid "starter" gear. My current stuff, which I've had for about a month, replaces the gear I got at 18 when I first got certified in high school 25 years ago. My wife bought a Poseidon regulator then that still works great. If you get gear of reasonable quality you won't need to replace it for ages. If you buy just on price there's a good chance you'll be replacing it before long. Even "cheap" scuba gear is still a lot of money, so that's a false economy.

There was an article in the June Scuba Diving magazine about kid's learning to dive. It had a small section about gear for kid's. Check it out if you have a copy of it.

here's a breakdown of my gear:
Dacor Ray BC
Dacor Eagle Reg(1st and 2nd stage)
Tusa Xpert Zoom fins
Tusa dive knife
UK C4 Dive Light
Mares X-Vision mask
Tulios Full 3/2mm wetsuit
Bodyglove lycra
and other stuffs...

I have all my own gear.
O'three wetsuit
Northern Diver drysuit,
Northern Diver jupiter regs, (old set)
Dacor Eagle regs, (older set)
Poseidon Cyclon 5000 regs, (new set yet to try)
Apeks Quantum Computer,
Mares Quattro Fins, open heel, (new fins)
Mares Avanti Fins, full foot, (old fins)
Seac Sub Pro 3000 BCD, (new)
Dacor Falcon BCD, (old and too small)
Seac Sub X-One mask.
Faber 12litre steel tank x2
Faber 1.2 Litre steel tank, (drysuit argon set up)

The trick to buying gear while you're still growing is to get gear that will grow with you. The Seac Sub is a medium BC, that will fit me for at least another 5 years, regs, well you can't grow out of them, however I change mine for the dive enviroment I'm in. Computers will also grow with you.

HI, I started diving at 12 and my dad got me an oceanic bcd and a scubapro g250 regulator setup---now at 29 with roughly a 1000 dives I still use that G250 regulator. I tell all of my students that your gear is your life support---invest for your future and you will always be happy.

I have.......

Akona 6.5mm two piece wetsuit
Scubapro Twin-Jet fins
Akona Fino Mask
Dive Rite bp/w
Zeagle DS-V Reg
Dive Rite Nitek Duo computer
1 AL 80

........buy quality and have no regrets

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom