Teenager with DCS, mother in denial, treatment delayed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Australia you would call 000 (US 911 equivalent). If you advise that it is a likely DCS, they will more than likely dispatch a rescue helicopter to the scene. In NSW, this will then take you to the nearest chamber. Have seen it in action a few times, worked perfectly.

Even when the DCS was minor, the ambulance erred on the side of safety and took to the chamber.

The intelligent thing to do is to gain information about the rescue system where one dives in advance so that in case of an accident, one already knows who is the correct/best number to call.
Very true. In France, you'd call 115 - Les Pompiers, correct?

I'm not sure I believe this is a true story honestly.... the number of things that don't make any sense to me is just too high.

I'm with you on this. Especially the part about taking the kid to a Chiropractor, I go to a chiropractor (and have gone to a few) and cannot believe they would actually treat a patient exhibiting those symptoms.

Very true. In France, you'd call 115 - Les Pompiers, correct?
Some firefighters are indeed cave-diving trained in France, and they come to the Lot time by time. However, I understand that only some of them follow this training. So, most likely, the average firefighter wouldn't be able to recognise the problems.

Anyway, let me be honest with you: I don't know for sure :) The point is that I usually dive with professional clubs or shops or in the Lot. If I have a problem in the Lot, I would most likely call Oli and follow his suggestions (because I guess there are not so many firefighters, and even fewer are diving trained). The professionals "should" already know what to do in the sea.

Frankly speaking, after this discussion, I realise that I should know better, so I will ask for better information and let you know. If I forget, you could send me a message early next week :)

That reminds me that my first episode like that occurred after diving. I had apparently injured a nerve climbing up a boat ladder in Cozumel. That evening, my back was in pain, and I couldn't walk without frequent stops to sit down. Being bent never occurred to me, and I didn't seek medical attention unti I got home to the US. Maybe I should cut the mom here some slack.
You and I have been at this long enough to know the difference between the two, but anything following a dive should be grounds to at least pause and ponder...

I'm not sure I believe this is a true story honestly.... the number of things that don't make any sense to me is just too high.
Thats because you don't live in Florida. One who lives in Florida for any significant amount of time, learns to not discount any story as too bizarre to be true, if it is reported to have occurred in Florida. I love much about Florida...but it is a special place.

One who lives in Florida for any significant amount of time, learns to not discount any story as too bizarre to be true,
Only in Florida, so many things that happen in the USA are bizarre :rofl3:

As the father of a good friend of mine once said "there's nowt as strange as folks" he was from Yorkshire in England.

I have to say when I read all of this at the beginning I thought it would be a good plot for Tim Burton to make a short movie, I had all sorts of bizarre visuals going through my head.

If I forget, you could send me a message early next week

Oi @ginti this is your reminder, did you find out more information?

Thats because you don't live in Florida. One who lives in Florida for any significant amount of time, learns to not discount any story as too bizarre to be true, if it is reported to have occurred in Florida. I love much about Florida...but it is a special place.
Just last night watched a movie called 'Spring Breakers' filmed in Tampa. Certainly way over the top, but anyone who hasn't been there would get the idea (of some of the bizarreness / craziness) as they have a few live cuts too.

But yes I agree, Florida is a special place for many reasons, but other parts of USA come a close 2nd for bizarreness. o_O:poke:

Siesta Key has it's own reality show.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom