Teenager with DCS, mother in denial, treatment delayed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right now a former professional diver who is well known to many people on this thread is looking for a new way to make a living a couple of years after his DCS treatment was delayed significantly because the EMTs and emergency room to which he was taken refused to give him early treatment for DCS no matter how much he begged for it.
I was thinking of the very same accident.

Furthermore, I was speaking one month ago with a very experienced diver (TEC fellow) who told me he would NEVER call EMS ambulance in case of an accident at sea. He would call the coast guard (and he did it in the past) since they are used to diving-related issues and know what to do.

But I am not sure whether this approach is possible in any country, it probably depends on the duties of the coast guard which are likely different among diverse legislations.

EDIT: I changed "EMS" with "ambulance".

I was thinking of the very same accident.

Furthermore, I was speaking one month ago with a very experienced diver (TEC fellow) who told me he would NEVER call EMS in case of an accident at sea. He would call coast guard (and he did it in the past), since they are used to diving related issues and know what to do.

But I am not sure whether this approach is possible in any country, it probably depends on the duties of the coast guard that are likely different among diverse legislations.
The Coast Guard is EMS if you are offshore. Particularly if you are going to use them for evacuation.

That's true. However, I don't think a thorough knowledge of decompression issues is required in cases like these. Understanding that it can happen, and what some possible symptoms are is enough. First aid is usually the same. Out of the water, and on oxygen. Even if the oxygen doesn't help the particular variety, it doesn't hurt.

In water recompression can theoretically work, but is usually not recommended as it's not as easy to control. I can understand doing IWR when in remote areas where a chamber is not likely to be found nearby. Not the case in this area. In most cases it's not recommended as more harm can be done. The fact that it was attempted seems to indicate that there was, at least, knowledge of potential problems.

Each one has different rules, but often there are different categories for Freediving and Scuba. The tournament organizers do not require any classes specific to the tournament. Usually registration and a Captain's meeting would be required. Depending on the tournament, there are likely also to be limits on distance/depth, and species to prevent riskier deep dives.

The reference to the tournament win is not to imply that advanced deco theory is required, but rather to indicate that this appears to be a family that is familiar with diving and spearfishing. I have no idea how many people are in the family, or how many dive/spearfish, but it appears to be at least two. The mother is on a local Spearfishing Facebook group.
Jus wondering how long the mother has been active on the Facebook group,and wah most of her posts are like. I would really like to think the FB posts are some ones idea of a bad joke, or trolling to get a respons,
cheers

Jus wondering how long the mother has been active on the Facebook group,and wah most of her posts are like. I would really like to think the FB posts are some ones idea of a bad joke, or trolling to get a respons,
cheers
I don’t know how long she’s been on the group I was referring to, but the taco post I mentioned was from last year.

BTW, this group is different from the group where she posted the updates on her son.

The Coast Guard is EMS if you are offshore. Particularly if you are going to use them for evacuation.
In the case of evacuation, or in the case of a problem in the middle of the ocean, yes I agree with you. But he calls them even when he is on the shore (in this case, at least in the countries I am familiar with, I believe standard ambulances should intervene).

In the case of evacuation, or in the case of a problem in the middle of the ocean, yes I agree with you. But he calls them even when he is on the shore (in this case, at least in the countries I am familiar with, I believe standard ambulances should intervene).
How does one do that specifically, for example say after an incident after a short entry dive?

Even coast guard's website says to call 911, which I assume will then direct to the normal ambulatory services.

How does one do that specifically, for example say after an incident after a short entry dive?

Even coast guard's website says to call 911, which I assume will then direct to the normal ambulatory services.
Well, I specified that it depends on the country because legislation can be different. I have no idea of what to do in the US.

I think in Europe if you call the coast guard, they will redirect the call to the ambulance, but after you explain to them what happened. Therefore, when they redirect the call to the ambulance, they already can give some information to the rescuers.

Anyway, this is just a story I heard, but I have never done it myself, so take it with care.

Here locally in my area if you call one they call the other and both respond what happens from there depends on who gets there first.

Example I have a friend that is on one of the local fire department diver teams. I asked him what happens he said if the boat calls 911 the dispatcher sends them and calls the coast guard. If the boat calls the coast guard they contact 911. Both arrive on scene whoever arrives first does the initial and then they figure out based on situation who does what.

Here locally in my area if you call one they call the other and both respond what happens from there depends on who gets there first.

Example I have a friend that is on one of the local fire department diver teams. I asked him what happens he said if the boat calls 911 the dispatcher sends them and calls the coast guard. If the boat calls the coast guard they contact 911. Both arrive on scene whoever arrives first does the initial and then they figure out based on situation who does what.
The intelligent thing to do is to gain information about the rescue system where one dives in advance so that in case of an accident, one already knows who is the correct/best number to call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom