Teenager with DCS, mother in denial, treatment delayed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well he is at the right place, Blake is one of the few hospitals in Florida that will treat DCS.

What am I missing from the video? It won't load.

I could try to verify it, but TBH I have very limited contact with the local scuba community outside the rare tank fill or getting stuff serviced.
oh wow I did not release that only a few Hospitals in Florida will treat DCS. I figured that since its such a popular dive destination most of the Hospitals would treat, but I guess they all don't have chambers

oh wow I did not release that only a few Hospitals in Florida will treat DCS. I figured that since its such a popular dive destination most of the Hospitals would treat, but I guess they all don't have chambers
Oh, they have chambers.

They reserve them for scheduled hyperbaric medicine patients (wound care, etc.), and the chambers are staffed for that schedule. DCS patients screw that up.

You didn't seem to get that my highest surfacing GF has been 80. I dive 80/95 to give me the bottom time without going into deco. Whether I'm a doing no-stop dive or light deco, I spend the time shallow or at my safety stop/deco stop to lower my surfacing GF. SurfGF is displayed on the 3rd line of my Teric. So, this is kind of like diving a GF high of 80, pretty conservative, wouldn't you say? My average surfacing GF for my last 275 dives is 53.

That's a just "going into deco" with extra steps.

That's a just "going into deco" with extra steps.
I don't understand this at all. He said he sets his computer to something close to pure Buhlmann, never exceeds it, and then hangs around for an extra long safety stop. That's all he really said. How is it "Going into deco with extra steps" if he never goes into deco?

On the other hand, here is a procedure I described years ago that got me into trouble because one user got all hot and bothered by it. When I was deco diving, I used a GF high of 70, which is very cautious. When I did a NDL dive, I never changed my GFs because (1) I am lazy and (2) I know what the numbers mean. That means I technically went into deco on an NDL dive before others did, but I knew that if I had just changed the settings to a higher GF, I would not be in deco. So was in deco or not?

I just did what the computer said was a deco stop at about the same time other people were doing their safety stops, and usually my deco would clear before they were done with their safety stops.

I don't do that anymore because people who do not have the mental capacity to understand these things get all upset if I talk about it, and, who knows, maybe someone might look at my wrist late in a dive and have a coronary.

I don't understand this at all. He said he sets his computer to something close to pure Buhlmann, never exceeds it, and then hangs around for an extra long safety stop. That's all he really said. How is it "Going into deco with extra steps" if he never goes into deco?

On the other hand, here is a procedure I described years ago that got me into trouble because one user got all hot and bothered by it. When I was deco diving, I used a GF high of 70, which is very cautious. When I did a NDL dive, I never changed my GFs because (1) I am lazy and (2) I know what the numbers mean. That means I technically went into deco on an NDL dive before others did, but I knew that if I had just changed the settings to a higher GF, I would not be in deco. So was in deco or not?

I just did what the computer said was a deco stop at about the same time other people were doing their safety stops, and usually my deco would clear before they were done with their safety stops.

I don't do that anymore because people who do not have the mental capacity to understand these things get all upset if I talk about it, and, who knows, maybe someone might look at my wrist late in a dive and have a coronary.
That's why I dive 80/95 and use SurfGF to determine my surfacing. I never go into deco on a no deco dive, have maximum bottom time, and surface when I think it is quite safe.

a) every dive is a decompression dive. b) the risk he's taking is the same (or greater) than just sitting your computer to the gradient factors you wish to surface at because of the potential for the loss of situational awareness

The time you spent under pressure is the risk, modifying the settings on the computer so you are not "in deco" doesn't change that risk, but it does remove tools to help you manage it.

That's what you get for shelling out all those bucks on a computer with a shiny oled screen: now you have to worry that others can see it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom