Teenager with DCS, mother in denial, treatment delayed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Problem is, muscle weighs more than fat so someone that’s in very good shape could weigh more than someone who’s, well, not.
A dive you did 20 days ago could bend you today.
Quite possibly if you've been on the beer with the last 20 days, otherwise not likely.

Quite possibly if you've been on the beer with the last 20 days, otherwise not likely.
I compare it to nitrogen narcosis. How you can dive to 100 feet with no issues, then the next day you do the same dive and are narced bad.

I compare it to nitrogen narcosis. How you can dive to 100 feet with no issues, then the next day you do the same dive and are narced bad.
This is a very real thing and specifically what made me switch to helium in my breathing gases below 100 feet.
Many years ago, I was doing a dive in Lake Erie on a wreck at 160'. This is a dive I had done 10 times before. I was using air just as I had always done in the past. On this dive, while swimming down the hogging arches, my vision narrowed and I got extremely uncomfortable, I have never figured out what caused it on this dive, but my solution was to abandon my dive partner and high tail it back to the down line, go up and start deco. My partner caught up to me at 20' with a WTF look. On the boat we were discussing what happened and I had no answer to why I bailed and left him for dead.
On that dive, I had driven 6 hours, paid a charter, bought two nights in the most expensive dump of a hotel known to man and then didn't enjoy myself because I decided to save $40 on breathing gas.
That was my last dive on air below 120.
It wasn't a new site, it wasn't a new boat, it wasn't a different gas, it was just a different day.

Yeah, he is making the mistake that it is all due to being older/fatter/lessfit/etc, as opposed to it being due to the chance on ANY dive that you might get bent.
One hit in 10,000 dives sounds pretty good...but the statistics don't wait 9,999 dives before you get hit....
No he's not, don't be putting words in my mouth, I never said its all due to being older/fatter/less fit/ etc.

No he's not, don't be putting words in my mouth, I never said its all due to being older/fatter/less fit/ etc.
Right. I'm not going to bicker with you. All I can go on is your posts, not what you might have meant.

I am reeling mentally in my attempt to understand what you are saying.

If it is true, as has been said repeatedly in this thread, that many dives resulting in DCS are well within normal limits, then it is certainly true that any dive profile done safely in the past can potentially result in DCS. It is also true that it is not likely, as I emphasized in my last post.

As I understand your recent flurry of posts is that DCS is indeed the result of the diver's fault for not making sensible adjustments to a dive profile, and thus DCS hits are both expected and deserved.

Is that what you are saying?

Right. I'm not going to bicker with you. All I can go on is your posts, not what you might have meant.
In that case quote the post where I said decompression sickness is all due to being older fatter less fit etc. I said he risks are higher and people should take precautions to offset those risks.

If it is true, as has been said repeatedly in this thread, that many dives resulting in DCS are well within normal limits, then it is certainly true that any dive profile done safely in the past can potentially result in DCS. It is also true that it is not likely, as I emphasized in my last post.

As I understand your recent flurry of posts is that DCS is indeed the result of the diver's fault for not making sensible adjustments to a dive profile, and thus DCS hits are both expected and deserved.

LOL. He keeps changing what he is saying. Good luck pinning him down!

What I said is as divers get older there at more risk of getting bent than they were 20 years ago simply because of being less fit and maybe carrying a little more weight. But some wise guy decided to change the 20 year gap I was talking about to 20 days. A point scoring exercise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom