Teenager with DCS, mother in denial, treatment delayed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Undeserved = unexpected
Eh…would you ever do a dive where you went into it thinking “I expect to get bent”? To the contrary, you go into a “normal” dive (EVERY normal dive) expecting that you won’t get bent. I mean, if you’re expecting it, you’re doing something wrong. Sure, every time you get an undeserved hit, you’re not expecting it, almost by definition. But not every unexpected hit is undeserved, depending on the education and experience of the diver. An inexperienced diver could do something off the wall stupid and not “expect“ to get bent. But if they do such a thing, and get bent, is it undeserved? The words are not synonymous in this instance.

Add more deco time, that's the problem with computers, they don't know who their dealing with.
So you'd just kinda guess? Isn't the evidence that fitness is more important than age? So by "more deco" do you mean less NDL for recreational dives? Is there any data to convert age or fitness or waistline or weight or ANY physiological information into some kind of reduced NDL?

I have become more conservative as I've grown older, I've had a Teric since May 2019. My highest surfacing GF since then has been 80. I dive my computer at 80/95. About 5% of my dives are light deco.
I'd shorten my bottom time or lengthen the stops depending on how I'd feel.

Undeserved implies that there was no reason to expect that it could happen. Unexpected implies that, statistically, it was unlkely to happen, but within the range where it could happen. Very different trains of thought and a very different thought process. Don't you agree?

Undeserved implies that there was no reason to expect that it could happen. Unexpected implies that, statistically, it was unlkely to happen, but within the range where it could happen. Very different trains of thought and a very different thought process. Don't you agree?
It is the negative connotation of "undeserved" that makes it a poor choice of words. I did not deserve that hit; I followed all the rules and my computer. This leads to the problem of denial...
It is almost as if you want to applaud those who got hit for giving us one more data point to be used in improving the deco algorithms.

So you'd just kinda guess? Isn't the evidence that fitness is more important than age? So by "more deco" do you mean less NDL for recreational dives? Is there any data to convert age or fitness or waistline or weight or ANY physiological information into some kind of reduced NDL?
Maybe some get fitter and slimmer as the get older but not many. So yes I'd make a calculated guess depending on how I felt on the day whether to decrease my bottom time or increase my stops. I most certainly would blindly follow a computer that had no notion how I was feeling. That's one sure way to get bent.

Maybe some get fitter and slimmer as the get older but not many. So yes I'd make a calculated guess depending on how I felt on the day whether to decrease my bottom time or increase my stops. I most certainly would blindly follow a computer that had no notion how I was feeling. That's one sure way to get bent.
Aside from your missing a "not" I pretty much agree.
Yes, you ought to modify your dive profile to take into account how you feel.
(It would be even better if you could modify it based on how you are going to feel 2h after the dive.)
That is rather different than your original comments about simply "adding more deco" (to a non-deco dive) or having a weighing scale on a dive boat.

Aside from your missing a "not" I pretty much agree.
Yes, you ought to modify your dive profile to take into account how you feel.
(It would be even better if you could modify it based on who your are going to feel 2h after the dive.)
That is rather different than your original comments about simply "adding more deco" (to a non-deco dive) or having a weighing scale on a dive boat.
The reason for the weighing scale is to remind people there not the same divers they were 20 years ago. So add more deco or subtract from bottom time for the extra few pounds and years.

I have become more conservative as I've grown older, I've had a Teric since May 2019. My highest surfacing GF since then has been 80. I dive my computer at 80/95. About 5% of my dives are light deco.
I wouldn’t say a gf high of 95 is very conservative did you use to dive to the m-line

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom