Teenager Stress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh well. Time for me to chime in with the car accident thing. My son got his driver's license on Nov. 9. Today, he had his first car accident. That's about right for a 17 yo boy, right? He was turning a corner way too fast and smashed into a parked car. Airbags deployed and everything. But thank God he was OK. I took him to the ER and he's fine. His car, on the other hand, is quite messed up. Oy vey. I couldn't afford the car insurance BEFORE the damn accident. I shudder to think what it will be now. Oh well, as I said, at least he is OK and no one was in the car with him. I hope he learned his lesson.

ouch...

should your son be driving a car, based on some of the other stuff you've told us about him?

his level of maturity really stinks (sorry)

H2Andy:
ouch...

should your son be driving a car, based on some of the other stuff you've told us about him?

his level of maturity really stinks (sorry)
Yeah, well, as mature as I am, I probably shouldn't even be a mother.:rofl3:

yea, don't give him money.

Seriously, I noticed that the moms that were "too nice" and let their kids run through the house with red juice boxes were making things difficult for themselves. My kids do things, but not to me. I make them suffer when they inconvenience me.

They were never allowed to eat anywhere but the kitchen and have never even worn shoes in the house. My friends called me "Mommy Dearest".
To this day, they have never eaten in my car. When they are started out this way, they think it is normal. That's the amazing thing about kids, if you have always made them pump your gas, they don't even mind---they just accept it.
You have to do so much for them, might as well make them your slaves.

We did make her wait almost an extra year to get her DL because she threw that xxx/ beer extravaganza while I was away. We said she could not be trusted with a car and when we thought she was ready we would let her drive.

crossed fingers. It's tough.

One thing I learned the hard way is - Never assign punishment that you can not live with.

Catherine, it sounds like your kids, (specifically your daughter) need a bit of good old-fashioned USMC discipline. :D Get JB to inflict it. :wink:
About your daughter and her party--don't write apology letters to everyone in your neighborhood. Make HER do it, and make her hand-write them. No copy/paste on the computer. By the way, I think you definitely did the right thing with not letting her get her license due to her irresponsibility.

If your daughter is throwing beer bashes at her age there will be serious issues later, especially when she goes off to college. I can't count the number of people I've seen who I just knew would turn into alcoholics in college based on their personality when we went through high school. Guess how many? All of them. Thankfully most have reduced their beer intake a bit since freshman year ("I had 13 beers tonight!!"), but the all still drink to excess.

I did some stupid crap as a teenager but nothing dangerous. I don't (and didn't) drink or smoke. I never saw why it was considered cool to get wasted, not remember your evening, and end up hugging the toilet. The best thing I ever did in high school was join NJROTC in the 9th grade. Discipline as demonstrated by a retired USMC Master Sergeant is a wonderful thing. :wink:

<rant>
Personally I don't see why people make such a big deal over teenage years. It's just a number, and in many other societies it's not a big deal. Most of the problems that teenagers have seem to be larger manifestations from their younger years, plus their parents not being able to control them. If you can't keep your kid under control in their younger years, how do you expect them to act responsibly when they're older?
When their first child becomes a teenager, they will know beyond any shadow of a doubt that a cruel joke has been played on them, and all the parents they gave advice to before they had kids are simply laughing their butts off.
Most people have expectations that their kids are going to go nuts as teenagers, thus their kids go nuts as teenagers. I have found that if you say "THIS is the standard" in terms of your expectations for their behavior and performance on any number of things, they will strive to meet it for better or worse. If you set low standards, they won't shoot higher. If you set high standards, many will attempt to shoot for them. I've never seen someone who doesn't react to that. If you expect your child to act like a civilized, mature adult at all times, and they KNOW what you expect from them, then they most likely will even as a teenager.

Parents today are way too concerned with being cool and being their kid's friend than with making their sure children turn into mature responsible members of society. The current generation of kids are going to be the whiniest, brattiest generation yet. I see it EVERY day in college.
For example, today I was walking to my apartment and several people a few apartments down from me were talking loud enough on their porch that I could hear them as I passed by. "Man I'm going to get WASTED tonight!" "Sweet, me too!!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shakehead It's sad that so many people my age don't understand the consequences of their actions, or they do they apparently just don't care. For the parents on this board, PLEASE make your kids realize that there ARE consequences for their actions, whether or not they are immediately apparent!!
</rant>

SparticleBrane:
For example, today I was walking to my apartment and several people a few apartments down from me were talking loud enough on their porch that I could hear them as I passed by. "Man I'm going to get WASTED tonight!" "Sweet, me too!!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
</rant>
I heard those same things when I was in college 20 yrs ago. It's nothing new. Somethings have to be learned by the stick others by the carrot. I do have to say that I actually think it's getting better. When I joined the Corps (nearly 20 yrs ago) heavy alcohol consumption was encouraged and condoned. Now any alcohol related incedent will end your career.

My NJROTC instructor in high school told us that the attitude on wives when he joined the Corps in the 70s was, "If we didn't issue you one, you didn't need one!"
I thought that was fairly humorous. :D

On a lighter note ... remember the kid who crews on my boat who got busted for setting the alarms on the clocks in housewares ... He just got banned from the store for life. It seems he went into the changing room in the men's department, locked the door, and after a few minutes started yelling "Hay, there's no toilet paper in here." ... And he is so well behaved when he's on my boat ... Who knew?

Actually, I think it is the ones that don't do anything UNTIL they get to college that go nuts....
I have noticed most of her friends have moved through the party phase. She has a job now for almost a year and one reason I feel able to talk about it, is it seems mostly "over" these days.
All of a sudden, the responsibilty thing just kicked in, out of nowhere.

I agree with Tom about the alcohol thing getting better. I have heard from all the kids that no one ever drives drunk anymore. There were certain messages that got through, as compared to our generation. Designated drivers are very common. When I was in high school, it was just a "concept".

Having said that, Hawaii is ranked number two nationally for drunk driving fatalities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom