Technique for Shooting an SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
I think a better idea is to be able to deploy your bag without any assistance; especially someone "assisting" you in remaining at a constant depth.
It can't hurt . . .in fact it relieves some task loading on the Shooter as well.
True, notwithstanding that it may be a "training wheel" solution to deficient/developing buoyancy skills, but then again --why not make things easier for the Shooter?:wink:

1. Unfurl the bag down current from you.
2. Release the tension on the spool of your reel, but do not unfurl any line
3. DUMP THE AIR FROM YOUR BC INTO THE BAG VIA THE LP INFLATOR DUMP
You will remain neutral since it is, so far, just a transfer from one bag to another
note: not sure how this works w/ drysuit (have not tried it)
4. CHECK TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE NOT ENTANGLED AND THAT NO OTHER DIVER IS DIRECTLY ABOVE YOU
5. Add a little more air if needed and away she safely goes

I always inflate at depth (maybe not max depth) for a few reasons-

1. less air volume is needed for the bag to inflate on the way up
2. I don't want to compromise my boyancy deploying the bag while at or close to a deco stop
3. The boat captain knows my dive plan and will be looking for my bag at a the specified turn time
4. It gives my captain and other boats plenty of notice that I am there.

Another important factor is not deploying the bag from a depth that is greater than the length of line on your reel and taking into consideration any diffence in current between you and the surface (sometimes hard to guage).

If the DM on the boat deflates and rolls your bag up after the first dive for you, as they sometimes do, unroll it again and redo it yourself. The one and only time that I had a problem deploying my bag was on a dive after a DM thought he was being helpful and clipped it wrong on the boat. Had to let it go. Better yet, don't let anyone touch your gear- PERIOD.

MOST IMPORTANTLY-be ready to let the reel go or cut the line. There is NO time screw around with a tangle.

I hope that helps

Non-sequitor:
WPBdiver:
BTW- you should not be dependant on a buddy for anything. Self reliance is survival.
Oops! A primary example of a vital Dependency on a Buddy: OOA Contingency with Air-Sharing.

Teamwork, not dependency per se, is actually what is important. . .

If the smb is open on the bottom (which I think the halcyon ones are not) you can dump air from your wing (BCD) into the smb and no exchage of bouyancy occurs Then once you release it you can re-establish neutral buoyancy. I use the lift of the bag and a slight drag on the reel to keep me in position as I re-inflate my wing.

Even if you orally inflate, there is no overall increase in positive bouyancy until the second breath goes in. At that point, the bag is ready to go and you should let it. The original poster states that he has a 6 foot Halcyon SMB. My experience has been that it's pretty hard to get 5 or 6 foot bags to be tight on the surface if you're shooting it from 30 fsw or shallower.

-Bill

bedmund:
My experience has been that it's pretty hard to get 5 or 6 foot bags to be tight on the surface if you're shooting it from 30 fsw or shallower.
Even if you just put a couple of breaths into it, the part that's inflated should stand straight up and salute if you put a bit of tension on the spool/real. The empty part isn't buoyant and just hangs underwater, actually pulling down and helping the inflated part to stand up.

But yeah, if you have any slack in the line and don't put some tension on it, it'll flop right over.

Just my .02. YMMV.

Rick Inman:
Even if you just put a couple of breaths into it, the part that's inflated should stand straight up and salute if you put a bit of tension on the spool/real. The empty part isn't buoyant and just hangs underwater, actually pulling down and helping the inflated part to stand up.

Yeah, you're right, Rick. I meant "tight and full". I should have been clearer.

-Bill

Thanks for the input.

I have only shot an SMB on drift dives for the chase boat. If I inflate it close to the surface (i.e., 20 -30 feet) I can't get very much air into it before it pulls me up. Seems that I can get it inflated better if I send it up from depth (e.g. 60 feet).

My BC bladder is usually empty at the end of the dive so I can't really transfer air from my BC to the SMB.

Exhaling and getting negatively bouyant seems to help, but doesn't seem to be enough.

I'll just keep playing with it.

Doc Harry this is where all that work you put in on -/+ bouyancy starts to work against you. In diving (shooting, life) we are always learning. I have been paying attention to my fitness and have lost some #. (less fat, more muscle) I recently bought a new wetsuit and had to play with the lead again. What I discovered is that I was overweighted with my old 3mm as my new 7mm I can wear the same wieght I had on before and am dead on nuetral. Now the problem. I shot my 6 footer on a low vis high current drift dive. The swell would pull me up and the marker would lay down, when I Yo-Yo'd downward the bag would flip up. I continued the 1' or so up down with the marker flipping up and down. I have the choice of wearing some extra pounds, hanging upside down and kicking, or using a smaller bag. Those choices I make dependant on conditions.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom