Technical Fins for Wet Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with jet fins in tropical waters, never had an issue with them being "too heavy" (except when I'm dealing with airline baggage weight restrictions).

I use the DiveRite EXPs when I want lighter fins (or longer blades for the same foot pocket size).

I can testify from personal observation, though, that Dan is right . . . He can swim circles around anybody in Jet fins.

Dan, I'd be really curious about what you think about the shorter free diving fins. Yours are just too long for me to be willing to manage on a boat -- as you saw, I can fall over in the ones I have. :)

Medium size SP Jetfins with spring-straps for Tech/Wreck Diving, also for warm water tropics, with a diveskin/1mm wetsuit and 2mm hooded vest, with no extra weight needed other than a 1kg Aluminum Backplate.

I like the durability of the heavy rubber jetfins, which can handle the abuse of wreck penetration (i.e. "Spider-Man" or "Chimney Climb" technique in a narrow corridor where you hold station with your fins against the walls while doing line work etc); and they trim out perfectly for a set of double 11L cylinders & attached deco bottles.

It's interesting to see all the comments for Jet fins and how they are not 'heavy' (DIR conspiracy? :)). There are many posts floating around stating that they are definitely heavy and dense (negative), being close to 7 pounds with springs, depending on fin size. There is a reason dry divers like them and can dive with them without ankle weights. So, as my original post stated, Jetfins are too heavy for me. If you like Jetfins, I respect your opinion but I will not be going in that direction.

I welcome opinions about other fins for me to consider. Thanks!

There have already been 6 alternatives to Jets suggested

Agreed. I am looking at them. The OMS Slipstreams look like the best candidate so far. All the benefits of Jet fins without the weight. I also tend to like the Mares Quattros. Force Fins, while very intriguing, are too expensive. A lot of my friends (and I) freedive and the fins are cool, but just not great for scuba around wrecks. I was just looking to see if there was additional input from divers that might influence my decision and to make the comment that Jet fin devotees need not apply.

If the "Jet fin devotees" hadn't posted in this thread then you wouldn't have gotten 6 alternative suggestions

I find the Slipstreams feel a bit 'stiff' compared to Jets. The foot pockets have a deeper, wider & more rounded shape, I find them more comfortable than Jets

I just weighted my size L Jets with springstraps and the weight of the pair is about 5 lbs 14oz. From what I recall XL Slipstreams with SS are about 5 lbs 4 oz. Two size "regular" quattro fins with spring straps is around 4 lbs 12 oz. Removing the SS saves about 8 oz. So you're not talking about huge differences IMO

I just weighted my size L Jets with springstraps and the weight of the pair is about 5 lbs 14oz. From what I recall XL Slipstreams with SS are about 5 lbs 4 oz. Two size "regular" quattro fins with spring straps is around 4 lbs 12 oz. Removing the SS saves about 8 oz. So you're not talking about huge differences IMO

Would you say the Quattros have similar displacement to the Jets? To me they seem longer but not as thick. I'd be careful of inferring too much from dry weights.

another vote for Slipstreams - my current fav
i've retired the scubapro twinjets and the atomic splits

great fins

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom