Technical Diving Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have also dove the morrel on air. That is what was available and I needed to secure a mooring as it was gone when we arrived. I would never recommend it to anybody. It was a three minute job. Drop down, secure the chain around the anchor stock, ascend. I had about 23 minutes doing the tie in and substantial deco from it. It was a dumb choice that luckily ended well. I wouldn't do it again.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Yes, I, too, do NOT recommend diving to Advanced Deep Air depths using air. I no longer dive this way. In fact, I have not done any technical diving whatsoever in nearly two decades!

My point to the OP is that people have dived, and continue to dive, very deep using air, despite the very real increased risks. And that knowledge and training are available to people who want to dive this way.

Helium is not available in some diving locales. And then, for some locales, even if helium is available, it is prohibitively expensive. Yet, people will continue to dive deep in these locales. This is a reality. I believe these people will be better off if they gain the knowledge and get the training.

(When I did my NSS-CDS Cavern and Basic Cave training in 1988, my instructor introduced the courses by saying that people will continue to dive submerged caves, despite the increased risk, so he and other instructors were simply making the knowledge and training available because they believed that these people will be better off with this knowledge and training. I believe that this perspective makes sense for Advanced Deep Air diving, also.)

ETA: Corrected the typo in the year of my NSS-CDS training.

rx7diver

Extended range diving to 1.2 to 1.4 Po2 depends on water temperature/workload/current and what gas mix is utilized. Air/Nitrox is a viable option in warm waters. I would use 20/25 in moderate temperatures with Po2 never exceeding 1.4. Rest assured if you go the CCR route, expect to pay $500 per dive for the first 40 dives, this includes: cost of CCR, gas, sorb, O2 cells annually, maintenance, training, and other miscellaneous costs. And you would need to dive the unit more than 20 times to be sufficient. Gas density isn't a big deal when using OC; it is a problem when using CCR however. Gas laws dictate the situation with OC.

If you hear an instructor answer: you will die, or you hear others saying: run. It means they don't have the answers to your questions.

Attachments

• AP CCR Checklist.pdf
    872.5 KB · Views: 117
Extended range diving to 1.2 to 1.4 Po2 depends on water temperature/workload/current and what gas mix is utilized. Air/Nitrox is a viable option in warm waters. I would use 20/25 in moderate temperatures with Po2 never exceeding 1.4. Rest assured if you go the CCR route, expect to pay $500 per dive for the first 40 dives, this includes: cost of CCR, gas, sorb, O2 cells annually, maintenance, training, and other miscellaneous costs. And you would need to dive the unit more than 20 times to be sufficient. Gas density isn't a big deal when using OC; it is a problem when using CCR however. Gas laws dictate the situation with OC.
:shakehead:

🙄🤦‍♀️

:confusing:

Extended range diving to 1.2 to 1.4 Po2 depends on water temperature/workload/current and what gas mix is utilized.

If you hear an instructor answer: you will die, or you hear others saying: run. It means they don't have the answers to your questions.

Not to sound rude but your answers are very confusing.

The OP was speaking about Extended Range dives (55m air dives) and you are speaking about the Po2 of them for some reason? Then your referencing GUE attachments, but yet GUE does not support Extended Range dives. Actually GUE is the strictest of all agencies, all GUE dives are to have an END of 30m or less this is an agency standard.

But then your commenting that people supporting the dangers or deep air dives do not know what there talking about. Yet your referencing GUE attachments and Trimix mixes meaning you actually agree that Trimix is a good thing.

For reference below is the GUR standard right out of the book.
1648264857160.png

What narcosis level you wish to accept is your business. Read my statement again. I'm not biased against G.U.E. training.

I understand that roughly 3% of experienced cave divers frequent this forum. Some are peevish, and prefer to resort to name calling as a crude substitute for analysis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom