Technical Diving Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are your thoughts on ER?

ER? Deep air? I think it’s crazy. I’m all for helium. I get narked easily. I pay a lot for it. Worth every penny. Finishing AN/Helitrox this year (scheduling issues nixed finishing last year). CCR next year.

... However, there are also many wrecks that I would like to see that are farther than 180'. The Gunilda, Antelope, Moonlight, Judge Hart, Kamloops, Bradley, and the Congdon, just to name a few. ...

IANTD Deep Air and IANTD Advanced Deep Air took me to the Daniel J Morrell (Lake Huron), and the Congdon and the Kamloops (both Lake Superior), among others, in the mid-1990's. Multiple times. At that time I was wearing manifolded Sherwood Genesis HP 100's (3,500 psig), for bottom times of ~ 25 min.

My very first 200 ffw dive, a certification dive, was to the Morrell, in fact. Each of my Kamloops dives was a "bit" deeper.

With proper gear and training and experience, it is certainly possible to do these types of dives safely, without Helium and without being crazy--despite what some others above might believe.

rx7diver

IANTD Deep Air and IANTD Advanced Deep Air took me to the Daniel J Morrell (Lake Huron), and the Congdon and the Kamloops (both Lake Superior), among others, in the mid-1990's. Multiple times. At that time I was wearing manifolded Sherwood Genesis HP 100's (3,500 psig), for bottom times of ~ 25 min.

My very first 200 ffw dive, a certification dive, was to the Morrell, in fact. Each of my Kamloops dives was a "bit" deeper.

With proper gear and training and experience, it is certainly possible to do these types of dives safely, without Helium and without being crazy--despite what some others above might believe.

rx7diver
I bet those dives would be really cool if you could actually remember more than 70% of them
I'm being facetious. But deep air is kooksville

I bet those dives would be really cool if you could actually remember more than 70% of them
I'm being facetious. But deep air is kooksville
I've written before (here on SB, IIRC) about some significant impairment I, myself, experienced on a couple of my ER dives. Narcosis is no joke!!

Still, there is sanctioned, competent training available to help divers learn to ER dive as relatively safely as possible.

Every type of diving has its risks.

rx7diver

Still, there is sanctioned, competent training available to help divers learn to ER dive as relatively safely as possible.
That TDI tried to get rid of, and unfortunately received a couple of very loud but limited number of older school instructors pushing back against.

ER? Deep air? I think it’s crazy. I’m all for helium. I get narked easily. I pay a lot for it. Worth every penny. Finishing AN/Helitrox this year (scheduling issues nixed finishing last year). CCR next year.

It’s dangerous and shouldn’t be taught. Many good instructors won’t teach it because of liability.

Deep air is an idea of the past. Some people still love it, but if somebody starts talking to you about deep air you should walk away

I remember a while back when TDI change Mod1 air dil from a 45m cert to a 40m cert there was whispers of getting rid of extended range as well.

rx7diver
I have also dove the morrel on air. That is what was available and I needed to secure a mooring as it was gone when we arrived. I would never recommend it to anybody. It was a three minute job. Drop down, secure the chain around the anchor stock, ascend. I had about 23 minutes doing the tie in and substantial deco from it. It was a dumb choice that luckily ended well. I wouldn't do it again.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom