Technical Diving Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LustForRust

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys! I've been diving for about 12 years now and am looking into technical diving. This has been something I have been thinking and dreaming about for a few years now and I am ready to do it. I am primarily a Great Lakes diver, and there are many ships I would like to see that are in the ER range. I am starting advanced and deco procedures (TDI) in the next few weeks. ER is to follow later this summer. It seems to be understanding concepts and planning, and the diver builds up experience to get to those depths as they progress.

However, there are also many wrecks that I would like to see that are farther than 180'. The Gunilda, Antelope, Moonlight, Judge Hart, Kamloops, Bradley, and the Congdon, just to name a few. Rebreathers are expensive, but helium is also expensive. I'm 21 and have a lot of training/experience building to do before I attempt those depths. A few hundred dives at least. No matter how I look at it I need a rebreather. A 18/45 fill on my LP 95 dubs would cost around $350 here.

So my question is, used or new rebreather? Where to buy? What is the cost per dive for you using your rebreathers on Trimix? Any other advice would be greatly beneficial! Thanks!

Do at least SOME dives on OC. You might quickly find that this ain’t for you. Also, developing good OC skills is important should you move to RB, because when the RB fails you’re an open circuit diver again for the ascent. Stressed and possibly suffering from profound co2 effects = a bad time to find out you aren’t strong on OC skills.

Also, the initial fill is a lot, but top offs are far more reasonable.

I recommend completing your AN/DP and then work on getting really competent at doing those dives on OC before moving to CCR. To paraphrase @PfcAJ, bailing out deep from your rebreather is no time to find out that you are a terrible OC diver.
Well we wrote that at the exact same time!

That's a lot of He for that depth. CCR training is no more expensive than OC training; however, if you don't do enough diving on the unit the cost factor is higher per dive. There a lot of used CCRs on the market.

I am not that far off from what you want. Just I am on the West coast. There were a few wrecks I wanted to see below the recreational levels. Start with an intro to tech class. I skipped that and has left me struggling at times. That is my first bit of advise.

Next up is mixing in Advanced Nitrox with Deco procedures. The two pretty much go together. A set of doubles and spend some time with them. Get some dives in. There will be plenty to see in that little extra depth. It will also get you more into the group of tech divers. That is a good thing. You will also spend more time in the water and being great lakes will be adjusting for the cold.

Extended range (air) I would say to just pass on that class. But adding trimix to the AN/DP class could be a good choice.

Below 150' is when a rebreather starts to make sense. Hopefully that group of tech divers you meet up with when you start the AN/DP diving will point you in the direction of local rebreather divers.

As far as brands, everyone will reccomend what they dive. None of them are perfect. Every one of them has something that someone doesn't like and thinks is the biggest problem in the world. New or used, that is another can of worms. A used rebreather may look affordable, until you spend the money /getting it serviced. And that may still be out of date electronics, that can cost a lot of money to get up to date as well. Makes a new rebreather optioned out with modern electronics less expensive. But if you find the right deal on a used rebreather, it can be a great value.

With as much as you are asking about a rebreather, you are going to eventually get one. I think (and other will have other opinions) a good time to convert is after you have spent time diving at the 150' AN/DP and are ready for the next step. Once you start a rebreather you will spend a little time not even doing the 150' dives just getting good with the rebreather. But once you start on a rebreather it opens up a lot of diving potential.

Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedures/Helitrox is what you want to do OC. Adding Helitrox gets you 35% helium down to 150ft. Same number of dives as AN/DP combo, with additional eLearning (Trimix) and doing some dives on Helitrox.

There’s plenty of Great Lakes wreck diving down to 160ft or so. Take your time.

A rough rule of thumb for a new CCR and the initial class is approximately $12K.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom