Technical Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to be trimix certified in 5 years. That seems like a reasonable goal to me. For my rec setup I plan on using a Halcyon BP/W with Apeks regs. Then when I go to tech just buy a second set of regs and a new wing.

That sounds like a very sane and safe progression to me assuming you make normal progression through all the other levels. I think you'll find at each level leading up to trimix that you'll rely on a computer less and less. And when you finally do take mix, you may not wear one at all, or at least you'll have a solid understanding of what you want to buy.

In terms of not having to buy twice, the few hundred you spend on a Vyper or a similar unit with a depth gauge will seem like nothing. In fact, you'll most likely spend more on your gas fills for a weekend with open circuit trimix, than you will on your first computer.

I cannot see why these Nitrox-only multiple gas computers are wanted by anybody.

They cannot do Helium.

The real tech computers that I know of are the Cochrane, the VR3, and the Nitek HE.

I have a Nitek, and it works beautifully. Best computer that I have ever owned, even better than the Suunto's (which are NOT tech computers).

I use my older Suunto single-gas computer in gauge mode as a back-up for the Nitek.

Are you saying that in order to conduct trimix diving you have to employ a trimix based dive computer?

I'm still trying to figure out why someone with <50 dives wants to "go tech". What is this sudden fascination with getting into technical diving the instant people pass their original open-water course (or sometimes, before they're even certified to dive)?!?!?

I'm still trying to figure out why someone with <50 dives wants to "go tech". What is this sudden fascination with getting into technical diving the instant people pass their original open-water course (or sometimes, before they're even certified to dive)?!?!?

I don't see anything wrong with that in principle. If you know where you want to go, why not start working on that as soon as possible?

The issue is going beyond your capabilities and ending up in dangerous situations, if not seriously hurt. Proper training and pacing (applying what you have learned with progressive difficulties) is crucial in developing the skills and mindset to conduct some of the dives within each.

As I have posted before I want to buy gear that works for both rec and tech. Is there anything wrong with diving a BP/W for rec dives? I said I want to be trimix certified in 5 years. To me this seems very reasonable. I can't really think of a reason why it is bad to have a goal (tech diving) and work toward it even with a low number of dives. We all started out as beginners.

Whether or not you really go the trimix route in the future is really irrelevant IMHO. Way down the road you will adjust your equipment choices a bit.

First off a BP and Wing is a great option for Rec or Tec. A wing in the 30lb range would give you quite a bit of flexibility. While there are lots of wing options (I personally favor Oxycheq or Dive Rite, DSS, Golem also are also nice products). For the plate itself I would go for the Hammerhead Hammerhead Scuba - Hammerhead II Backplate. Plates are pretty much plates and the Hammerhead products are super robust and are way cheaper than the big names, I have turned a lot of people on to these guys (yes my original Dive Rite plate is shiney but who cares).

The Tusa, Zeagle or Dive Rite (Duo) dual gas computer is a nice computer that can also be used for Rec diving, a 2 gas computer, or as a bottom timer and it won't break the bank if you decide to go in a different direction.

As I have posted before I want to buy gear that works for both rec and tech. Is there anything wrong with diving a BP/W for rec dives? I said I want to be trimix certified in 5 years. To me this seems very reasonable. I can't really think of a reason why it is bad to have a goal (tech diving) and work toward it even with a low number of dives. We all started out as beginners.

As I have posted before I want to buy gear that works for both rec and tech. Is there anything wrong with diving a BP/W for rec dives?
Nothing at all. And, you are to be commended for a reasonable, rational approach. A BP/W rig is NOT 'tech' gear. It happens to be used by many divers, doing what is not infrequently referred to as 'tec/tech' diving. It is primarily a streamlined, efficient approach to a BCD. Good for you!
I said I want to be trimix certified in 5 years. To me this seems very reasonable. I can't really think of a reason why it is bad to have a goal (tech diving) and work toward it even with a low number of dives. We all started out as beginners.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that goal. We DO all start somewhere. People dive for different reasons. One of them may be to test their limits, another may be to challenge their ability to achieve the level of precision appropriate for trimix diving, etc. Continue toward your goal. I fully agree with Sparticle in that you should immerse yourself (OK, bad pun) in diving and get as much experience as possible. That makes your ultimate progression more meaningful, more substantive, and more achieveable. One of the simplest, and most difficult, skills in diving is bouyancy control. I do see a number of divers who move to 'advanced' certifications without mastering that skill. I suspect that Sparticle does too and that may be one source of his comment. From my perspective, you are thirsting for knowledge and experience. Go for it, and drink deeply.

I am using a Vytec DS for my rec and tech diving. Got a good deal on it. I set the algorithm at 50% which reduces the conservativeness enough that it gives a descent profile that matches my cut tables. (i.e. it has a simulation mode that non of the other Suuntos have). That said, I use my bottom timer and cut tables as my primary deco table and my computer as a back up. If I was heading towards TriMix in 5 years I would still by this computer over a trimix computer.

Why? cause in 5 years there is going to be something better. Or another way to look at it you might buy the latest and greatest trimix computer and in 5 years it might crap out before you ever get to use it. Either way money down a piss hole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom