Tech Rig vs BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
I just bought a new tech rig and have not tried it yet. My friends saw it and are considering it vs a BC jacket. I have read muhc about DIR and tech rigs, so I knew I wanted to sell my BC and go the 'tech route.' However, they asked me a few questions that I can not yet answer...can anyone help?

1. Why is a tech rig better than a BC?

2. Why is your (my) Halycon rig more expensive than a BC?
I figure I have invested in my rig:

Wings $330
Backplate and harness $170
STA $60
Octo Straps (tank straps - 2) $ 70

3. Doesn't the wings make you float face down when inflated at the surface?

Can you help us on this one?

1. A BP/W setup is superior to a recreational bc because it is more versitile. You can add different wings for different tanks and wet/drysuits, you have an excellent platform to mount equipment, etc. It is also more stable and comfortable than a bc. Backplates never wear out, harness is very cheap, and Halcyon wings are better made and longer lasting than bc's.

2. More expensive in the short run because it is made better (at least that's part of it). It is more rugged, has extra features to keep it from breaking or wearing out. For example, the heavy weight cloth, the protective loop on the inflator hose, etc.

3. No it does'nt. One "trick" is to not add too much air when at the surface, so that it holds your head up but doesn't push you over. Another trick is to go ahead and blow it up but lay back on it like you would an air mattress. I found that this "warning" was greatly overstated when I got my first back floatation bc. Besides, it helps your trim position underwater, that's where it is meant to function best. How much time do you spend on the surface? Actually, I spend a lot of time on the surface because I'm a DM helping with classes. I wear my backplate for classes.

Hope this helps.

Dave

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom