Tech fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basically, putting on a set of JetFins is like strapping a piece of plywood to your feet. If your not conditioned to using them your legs may cramp up. Been using them since 1966.

I currently have Atomic split fins, which I'm OK with overall, but they seem to lack maneuverability. Been looking at a new pair of fins and came across the Zeagle Recon, which is classified as a tech diving fin. Is there a particular downside for using tech fins for recreational diving?

I just bought tec fins as I got a larger 7 mil boot and it didnt fit normal fins i had. I tried several types of tech fins and the best fitting for me were the Hollis F1 but you need to try them all on with the boot you will be using. FYI the F1 is the heaviest which means less lead needs to be carried.

What would be traditionally labeled "tech" fins (jets, slipstreams, f1, deep 6, recon, etc.) are usually stiffer and heavier than a "recreational" fin. Part of technical training, though absolutely not unique to it, is using a wider variety of finning techniques than just the flutter kick. Tech fins perform better for frog kicking, the modified kicks, helicopter turns and reverse finning, etc., than "recreational" fins, though there are some that do okay.

As pointed out, if you just flutter kick all the time, tech fins will probably wear you out. I rarely flutter kick except to mix it up and work different muscles. Most of the time it's a frog/modified frog kick. For me, that a much more efficient and less tiring technique.

So, short answer is "tech" fins are great for any kind of diving and a vast improvement -- if you take the time to use some of these other techniques. If you only flutter kick, you may find them tiring and uncomfortable.

I'd like to throw Apeks RK3's into the mix. Good fins cold water/drysuit but also good everywhere else (just got back from the Bahamas). I have the HD model and they are great. Like a mix of the Zeagle Recons and Scubapro Jet fins.

I've only been diving for a couple of years but I'd recommend them to anyone...for anything.

+1

Get yourself a set of ScubaPro Jet fins, US Diver Rocket fins, or similar. Replace the straps with springs and voila, you are now the proud owner of "tech fins".

I replaces the straps on my tusa rec fins with springs and oh man what a nice difference!! never again will I use straps on rec or tec fins

I recently got a pair of deep 6 Eddy’s. I’m pretty happy with them. They’re solidly made, come standard with heavy duty spring straps. Foot pocket is a little stiff but again they’re new and I expect they will mold a bit to my boots. Pockets are also pretty wide and should fit most people. I like the fact that they are also a little shorter. When I’m shooting macro, sometimes I’m maneuvering in tight quarters and don’t want to drag my fins across anything.

For me tech fins are durable, easy to put on, and befitting of the purpose of the dive. For me, that means spring straps is a must. Fins with integrated foot pockets are out, because of their lack of comfort (as opposed to 'regular' fins that fits over your boots). Other than that, it depends on my gear configuration and task at hand.

Do you dive a wetsuit or a drysuit? Do you do flutter kicks, or mostly frog kicks (the latter is more likely if you're tech trained).

I love my jetfins for drysuit diving. I like the weight which makes trim easier with heavy steel doubles. Their stiffness makes backing up, helicopter turns etc easier. Which is one of the reasons why they're popular among "tech divers". However, I find them too heavy for tropical wetsuit diving. I prefer semi heavy rubber fins for that (like the mares avanti quattro+, the light version of OMS Slipstream etc). Also, it's going to be down to your personal preferences. If you love flutter kicks, and do the kind of diving where thats appropriate, you're going to hate stiff fins like the jetfins or OMS Slipstream, because they'll wear you out. If you want to have an easy time backing up, you're gonna hate soft tropical fins.

TLDR: Depends on your gear configuration, and type of kicks you prefer. Do get fins that fit on your boots, and forget anything but spring straps.

Get Deep6 Eddy Fins. They're great. Light. Stiff. Large and comfortable foot pocket. Everything that a Scubapro JetFin has but in a lighter more comfortable form factor. They certainly won't sink if you accidentally drop them in the water. Has neutral buoyancy.

Tech fins (SP-Jets) are the only fins I use followed by Hollis F-1s. I would never use the lighter plastic compounds. They lack the power and precision.

Back
Top Bottom