Tech fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coral Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have Atomic split fins, which I'm OK with overall, but they seem to lack maneuverability. Been looking at a new pair of fins and came across the Zeagle Recon, which is classified as a tech diving fin. Is there a particular downside for using tech fins for recreational diving?

i haven't seen a convincing argument that there is a reason not to use paddle or blade style fins like the dive rite xt, oms slipstream, or deep 6 eddy (or scubapro jetfin/hollis f1 if diving dry) for recreational diving other than length for the hollis f1/dive rite xt not fitting in carryon luggage.

I have Zeagal Recons and I love them, they are great for a regular paddle kick but also shaped well for the frog kick and flutter kicks and all of the other little alternative kicking styles people use. they are a very nice fin. I am very happy with them. When you get aggressive with them they really move you. Been thinking about some old school mil style jet fins too. I dive with a guy that swears by them.

I’ve dove with an assortment of split fins, eddy fins, f1’s and also scubapro jet fins. For me, the scubapro jetfins by far surpasses all the other fins I’ve used. It’s fantastic for all different kicks and also gives really good propulsion.

"tech gear" is just gear thats optimized for potentially challenging environments. anything that is used by lots of tech divers is probably great for recreational diving too.

Friends don’t let friends dive with split fins......

+1

Get yourself a set of ScubaPro Jet fins, US Diver Rocket fins, or similar. Replace the straps with springs and voila, you are now the proud owner of "tech fins".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom