Tech diving regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This incessant and constant push for the copycat, newcomer, "off brand," minor companies and dismissal of the top global brands who have exceptional longevity in the business and awesome track record is getting so tiresome and boring frankly speaking...

:sleeping:

Yes, all that does is keep water out of the ambient chamber. And if someone is puncturing that, they probably shouldn't be diving because they are going into places they shouldn't or are lousy about caring for their gear. I have seen those blow out if the diaphragm fails or the HP seat goes. I have never seen one punctured. It has nothing to do with the actual operation of the reg under normal circumstances. It's an environmental seal. It keeps out water, sand, silt, critters, and such from getting into the ambient chamber to reduce the risk of freezing (in the case of water) and it makes rinsing and servicing easier by not requiring the diver to try and get all the crud out of the chamber.
Before you take a tech class, maybe get with an instructor and learn a little about gear function. This should have been covered in your open water class. If not, you need to think about what else was left out.
Okay so I know there were a lot of things left off in my open water class and I am trying to get them learned. I took my OW class in China where divers are mostly girls who were trying to take diving pictures and post social media.SO they're not really technically inclined and my classmate was having a hard time understanding and the difference between york and DIN red which took a lot of class time off. How a regulator works are barely discussed in my class so the internal structure of a reg was left off. Plus ppl there don't service their reg at all cause this is not a part of the national standard(GB standard). Some ppl choose to service but it is not required so not so many people understand the structure of a regulator.

If you can afford it go MK19Evo/G260 due to the turret on MK19, next for me would be MK17/G260 then H50(same as mk17) with Halo and them Apeks.
I put the SPs first as I do like the replaceable orifice and the fact that the diaphragm can be torqued to a spec instead of metal to metal on Apeks.

where divers are mostly girls who were trying to take diving pictures and post social media

Mostly girls in scuba classes in China??? Wow!

Can you point to this requirement in the GUE standards? I have never noticed it or heard an instructor mention it. Nevertheless, most if not all of the regs being discussed here have that feature, so it's sort of moot.

HOG D1s have gotten me through Fundies and Cave 1 so far. No instructor has made any comment about my regs. Comparable to the Apeks the OP is considering, I think. If I were buying again today, I might get Deep6 for the same reason HOG was attractive: the ease with which I can service them myself.
I don't think its in the standards, but its DIR.

This constant push for the newcomer "off brand" minor companies and dismissal of the top interntional brands who have exceptional longevity in the business and awesome track record is getting so tiresome and boring frankly speaking...

You know, I was thinking the same thing. But, I am happy that there are new comers and products at differing price levels. Competion is good. But, is there really competition when basically the same products are simply rebadged. Scubapro innovates and get copied. Aqua Lung basically invented the sport of diving, they are certainly now over 75 years in the business. I am all for new companies, but some of them are not really innovating, they are just rebadging the same stuff. Well, maybe the innovation is low price and the ability to purchase service kits. And that is an innovation, credit where credit is due.

James

This incessant and constant push for the copycat, newcomer, "off brand," minor companies and dismissal of the top global brands who have exceptional longevity in the business and awesome track record is getting so tiresome and boring frankly speaking...

You know, I agree. I mean we have had Ford, Chevrolet, Fiat, Peugeot, Volvo and Chrysler for over a hundred years, we don't need those damn upstarts like Toyota and Honda.

This is a sincere question, not meant to light anyone on fire, but has not there already been some discontinued parts in one of these Hog type brands? And is the volcano orifice non-replaceable? That, if true, is a negative, but then I have a couple of Conshelf firsts that are older than most of you and they have an integral volcano orifice and are good for another 30 years perhaps. But, one of the improvements of the Titan LX first (and Legend, and Core and on and on) was the separate and replaceable volcano orifice of stainless steel. The Mark 17 and Mark 19 have a replaceable volcano orifice and the environmental seal is not directly exposed though that really is nothing of importance. If you gotta have a turret on a diaphragm sealed first, the Mark 19 is about it. Yeah, you pay more for the S but twenty years from now you will likely be able to get at least some support.

James
No parts have been discontinued. They did end one Edge recreational reg but the service kits for it are still carried because there are a lot of them out there. Some cosmetic changes were made in the D1 and the filter assembly on the yoke version changed but the service kits are still the same.
They've also changed the LP seats in the second stage because a better one was found.
Again the kits did not change except for the seat.
As for the non-replaceable orifice, that's true. It's not. I've seen one orifice damaged and that was due to someone using a ft.lb. torque wrench on the balance chamber and stripping it out allowing brass shavings to fall into the reg and get between the orifice and seat.
The D3's originally had removable orifices and people kept ignoring the service procedure around it and damaging the orifice, putting it in upside down, dropping it and scoring the sharp edge, or cutting the o-ring when re-installing it.
The machined orifice has turned out to be far more reliable and rarely, if ever, needs to be touched.

You know, I agree. I mean we have had Ford, Chevrolet, Fiat, Peugeot, Volvo and Chrysler for over a hundred years, we don't need those damn upstarts like Toyota and Honda.

You forgot Lada, Yugo, Toyo Auto (Chinese knock off Toyota), Geely (Chinese Crap), etc.

Over blowing the capabilities of tiny companies that feed on the imitation of the big ones and lack any innovation and farm out all of their manufacturing and engineering to others and have no support whatsoever in MOST of the world (there is a whole big world outside North America just FYI) while attacking the most respected and most innovative and stable global companies on constant, relentless and incessant basis is just dishonest and doesn't serve the interest of uninitiated and less experienced.

No one wants monopoly or limiting innovation here, but we have to be honest and realistic in our evaluations and recommendations. I work in a highly competitive and innovative field and I have to do my best to get a complete picture of what is available and what is best value for the purpose. What maybe sold as a "new" and "sexy" product isn't always good or best value for what we need.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom