Tech diving regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, guys so I just got into tech diving and am not sure which regulator should I go with for my twin tank setup. The reg needs to have a removable cap because I am training with GUE and this is what they required.
I'm confused--what's a "removable cap" and why does GUE think they're a good idea?

If environmental seal is punctured, you will lose depth compensation, but reg will continue to work.
This is false. If the environmental chamber has a leak, it simply floods with water and the depth compensation works as normal. No scuba regulator could work even close to acceptably without depth compensation.

Apeks DS4+XTX50: This is basically the cheapest option that I have now. Not sure how good they're. I heard Apeks first stage has a plastic diaphragm that's exposed to the environment and could get punctured. Not sure how was it.
This is false. If the environmental chamber has a leak, it simply floods with water and the depth compensation works as normal. No scuba regulator could work even close to acceptably without depth compensation.
I agree.
If you setup your regs correctly, the environmental seals are pointing inside, so there is no real chance if anything puncturing the seals. Anyway, I have never experienced it nor seen it.
1640350240443.png

op is talking about the diaphragm cover on the second stage, not the environmental seal. Gue and some other organisations have this as a mandatory requirement so you can replace the second stage diaphragm or clean it out in high flow environments.

I don't really care about that stuff, but that's the reason they don't allow my 109's and I ended up getting really cheap old g250 graphites for training.

Yes, you are correct, but I will keep my post as it is, not to mess with your post
I agree.
If you setup your regs correctly, the environmental seals are pointing inside, so there is no real chance if anything puncturing the seals. Anyway, I have never experienced it nor seen it.
View attachment 697120
I would be more concerned about hoses in your setup than I would be with something puncturing the seal. My regs are pointed opposite of yours, though I do have 5th port on both.

Yes, you are correct, but I will keep my post as it is, not to mess with your post

I would be more concerned about hoses in your setup than I would be with something puncturing the seal. My regs are pointed opposite of yours, though I do have 5th port on both

I would be more concerned about hoses in your setup than I would be with something puncturing the seal. My regs are pointed opposite of yours, though I do have 5th port on both.
I see this quite often, what's the reasoning behind putting the environmental seals in a more vulnerable position ( to the outside) ? Is it only hose routing?

*Correction: with apeks dst's etc you dont rly have the choice ofc. But i see this alot with ds4,s mk17's etc as well

I see this quite often, what's the reasoning behind putting the environmental seals in a more vulnerable position ( to the outside) ? Is it only hose routing?

*Correction: with apeks dst's etc you dont rly have the choice ofc. But i see this alot with ds4,s mk17's etc as well
Yes.
But I don't dive wrecks or caves (yet), in those environments I might reconsider risks.

If you are regularly puncturing the environmental seal on your reg, you have bigger issues you should worry about.

As Halocline said, in the rare event you do break a seal, the reg will work normally and a new seal is part of a service kit. Not something to lose sleep over or compromise hose routing.

DS4 and (X)TX 50 or even ATX 40 will do the just job just fine. Been using them for years, in every kind of diving situation (except for ice diving, which I never had the chance to try). And have no fear concerning the seal, my regs have seen hell, the Atlantic can be a b..tard around here, but never had a problem with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom