Tech diving regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just out of curiosity, why is no one mentioning the DiveRite Dual reg set for $859 complete with hoses, clips and gauge. DiveRite gear may not be the most "glamorous" but it's "workhorse gear", easy to service and has never let me down.

Just out of curiosity, why is no one mentioning the DiveRite Dual reg set for $859 complete with hoses, clips and gauge. DiveRite gear may not be the most "glamorous" but it's "workhorse gear", easy to service and has never let me down.
Beacuse OP didn't ask about them?

If you are diving where your reg freezing is a serious threat I’d suggest that you prioritize having regs that don’t freeze. Maybe not for class, but after that.

The US Navy has done extensive testing and has approved three for cold water. Look for cold water regulators on:
One is from Poseidon, one from Mares and the last (newest) from Interspiro.
Look at the notes, the part numbers matter.

There are other lists from organizations that do cold water diving that you could use, but if nobody who dives professionally in cold water uses a reg you probably don’t want to either.

This incessant and constant push for the copycat, newcomer, "off brand," minor companies and dismissal of the top global brands who have exceptional longevity in the business and awesome track record is getting so tiresome and boring frankly speaking...

:sleeping:
Viral marketing. SB is the old Instagram, or maybe Instagram for the old. It carries over to FB too, with some of the regular pushers here telling innocents to buy the same brands.

Hello, guys so I just got into tech diving and am not sure which regulator should I go with for my twin tank setup. The reg needs to have a removable cap because I am training with GUE and this is what they required. Been doing research myself for half a year now and still haven't decided. I know regulators now are all pretty good as long as they have a balanced piston/diaphragm and are the top-line product from a reputable company. However, regulators are important and I'd like to make sure I am getting the best.

So I am diving in Canada and will be doing ice diving. Regs need to be very cold water-resistant. And will probably be doing some pretty deep dive so it better be reliable. Here are the few options that I have, what's your opinion on this?

Halcyon H50+Halo: I am able to get this pretty cheap and I heard good things about halcyon reg. I know it's made by Scubapro but I heard this is an older version of Scubapro? Not many people in my area use Halcyon regulators. (Can get them serviced easily, not a big deal)(Not sure how good they're cold water)

Apeks DS4+XTX50: This is basically the cheapest option that I have now. Not sure how good they're. I heard Apeks first stage has a plastic diaphragm that's exposed to the environment and could get punctured. Not sure how was it.

Scubapro MK19EVO+G260: I heard this is basically the Halcyon but more expensive. In the second stage not sure if G260 is better or Halcyon Halo is better.

Thanks, guys. Really need some help here.
First of all, for tech diving with a twin set you need TWO independent regs, not one.
For a number of reasons it is better they are identical (apart hoses).
My suggestion is two Scubapro MK17evo+G260.
Everything else is more expensive and not so easy to keep serviced everywhere and for decades.
A MK17+G260 is just 399 eur:

You know, I agree. I mean we have had Ford, Chevrolet, Fiat, Peugeot, Volvo and Chrysler for over a hundred years, we don't need those damn upstarts like Toyota and Honda.
Maybe an even better analogy would be now-mundane consumer goods. When you have a mature technology, if the market is big enough the thing becomes a commmodity item. The small size of the potential market is the only reason we don't see regulators as the commodity goods they are. You'd be buying your regs at Costco.

WOW, HOG started back in 2007. Didn't realize it has been that long now... time flies

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom