• I did Rescue Course because it was a requirement for my tech courses

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I had done Rescue before I considered the Tech route

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • I did Rescue Course for its own value

Votes: 34 42.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am interested in hearing about Rescue Course and how you, who consider yourselves tech divers (maybe have at least something like Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Tech 1 or the likes under your belt) either have it or not…
Pick an option that most describes your route.

Well I don't have them yet, but I am intending to do my rescue with one instructor this summer while working on my advanced nitrox and deco procedures with another instructor.

good course to have especially if you want to become and owsi. i had to relearn all of the procedures for recreational diving though....non stnadard gear configurations and short hose.....emergency ascents when you have a free flow etc

Good Class....take it

I did my Rescue at ScubaToys with Jeff and Sean. We had rec and tec gear configurations represented, which made for very in depth discussion.

Many of the rescue cirriculums offered by most LDS are geared toward rec configured divers. Jeff (who is also a "Techie") took the time to cover alternate methods for gear removal and other other things that didn't "fit" with a Tec rig.

I took the original rescue diver instructor course from Bob Smith in 1979 when he made a tour of the country teaching YMCA instructors to teach the new SLAM (Scuba Lifesaving and Accident Management) course that he had developed. This was the first divers' rescue course - before that instructor candidates took lifeguard courses. Scuba rescue courses have changed a great deal since then but they are still the single best courses that a recreational diver can take. They train a diver to think of other divers and to be aware of the other divers who are in the water with them. The exact skills are secondary to the awareness training. In real life, rescues never go as the training exercises would have you believe. Instead, you just do what is necessary.

do it easy:
I did rescue after adv nitrox and deco procedures. There were tows and a rescue scenario in my trimix class.

did you feel like you got a lot out of it at that point?

I did rescue course before tech, in tech trimix you need perform rescue skills

I did get something useful out of it and would recommend taking it to anyone of any level of training. What was most useful to me were the techniques, the practice, and the accident management.

The rescue scenarios in my trimix class were more like exhibitions. We had to perform the skill, but it was just to get some experience doing it with all the gear on, not to teach the basic rescue skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom