• I did Rescue Course because it was a requirement for my tech courses

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I had done Rescue before I considered the Tech route

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • I did Rescue Course for its own value

Votes: 34 42.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawally:
good course to have especially if you want to become and owsi. i had to relearn all of the procedures for recreational diving though....non stnadard gear configurations and short hose.....emergency ascents when you have a free flow etc
good course to have? Rescue Diver certification is required BEFORE you can take Dive Master which is a pre-requisite to IDC.
The Order required by PADI is OW, AOW, Emergency First Response/Rescue, Dive Master then OWSI.
Rescue is a course every serious diver should take. It not only teaches you how to be there for other divers but it also teaches how to help yourself in an emergency situation.

I have not taken Rescue (yet). I have not taken Tech courses either but they do appeal to me. My two main reasons for not going for Rescue are: Firstly, I’ve needed to get my back in shape. The only action I have ever seen of Rescue Courses have been people huffing others out of the water and screaming for pizza, and I have judged that until now that would not have been a good for me :)

Second, I have doubts if everybody is really getting as much out of it as they say. I listen to what people have learnt and really only the directly dive-related (physical?) techniques sound like a big learning bonus to me. What if one is EFR-trained and a bit more and trained to deal with emergencies? I am afraid I have to sit half a day listening how to be aware and how to recognize panic and how to calm a panicking person – when I have learnt these things in non-diver applications – and honestly think they can be applied. I tend to be hyper-alert and have sometimes been told to stop looking for things to go wrong rather than look for more :wink: I’d hate to go listen to “keep your eyes open, see what’s going on on the beach/boat”… duh…

I absolutely claim not to be savvy of what goes on on the Rescue Course (unfortunately no one has given me the manual to read even). Nor do I claim I would not learn anything new. I just fear how big a portion of the stuff is going to be new. Because of my reluctance for roughing in the water, the most interesting part of genius in-water scenarios is kind of two-edged sword too. That’s where I think I could really learn something.

And this is why I wanted to hear if many a Tech Diver (I do not consider DM per se a Tech Diver btw) has skipped Rescue and gotten the stuff other ways, maybe in bits and bobs learning about both techniques and physiology etc. in the advanced courses.

P.S. I totally agree that cavern should be in the curriculum, good idea!

Not yet doing any technical dives but I wanted to respond. I just took rescue because I wanted it completed before Cavern.

Miranda

Not really "Tech" but we did our rescue with Joe Talavera in doubles... We had 4 DIR types (2 had previously taken rescue) and all in DIR configured gear...

Was it hard: Yes
Was it harder perhaps than going at in in singles: Definitely
Was it worth it: Yes

The reason we wanted to do it in doubles and configured like this is These are the guys I usually dive with in the gear we usually dive.

Carribeandiver:
good course to have? Rescue Diver certification is required BEFORE you can take Dive Master which is a pre-requisite to IDC.
The Order required by PADI is OW, AOW, Emergency First Response/Rescue, Dive Master then OWSI.
Of course, if you have no interest in ever becoming a divemaster, it's still an excellent class. To date, it's been one of the most fun and most educational I've taken, and that despite having already had EFR/Medic-First Aid/CPR/Lifeguard/First Responder/Search and Rescue training.

I think you'll be pleasantly suprised if you take the class Piikki.

I have not taken the course, but I'd like to at some point.

Some of my courses I took because I needed the cards for access, but luckily(?) that's not the case with rescue so I can take my time finding a great instructor who is also a tech diver (preferably DIR) and learn from him or her.

I don't like that some agencies require rescue as a prerequisite for tech courses because in my opinion if it's really necessary then it should also be required for AOW as non-deco divers may also need rescuing. Teaching it with OW would be too early though because those guys don't even know how to dive yet.

Rescue can be an excellent course, if it's organized and presented properly. I've seen some Rescue courses that aren't worth the time or effort of either the student or instructor. I've also seen (and teach) a course that truly prepares divers to handle emergent situations. I can only speak from my experience, but I do think Rescue is a good course to have prior to tech courses. When you get into diving with higher mixes of O2 and deeper depths, you run into higher risks. The chance of something going wrong is higher because of the type of diving involved. Knowing how to respond to and handle those situations makes you more comfortable in the water. Can you do tech without it? Sure. I just think you're better prepared with it...it it's a good course.

scubawally:
good course to have especially if you want to become and owsi. i had to relearn all of the procedures for recreational diving though....non stnadard gear configurations and short hose.....emergency ascents when you have a free flow etc

Why would you need to change your gear configuration? The last Rescue course I taught, we were all in drysuits, bp/w, and long hoses. It can definitely make it a little more challenging.

I took the rescue class long before I ever thought of technical diving.

Most technical courses (well, some at least) will include some of the skills as well as some slightly different skills like towing a diver underwater as apposed to just surfacing them.

I taught the rescue course to one experienced cave and technical diver who took it because he was considering becoming an instructor. He had some prior medic training and was obviously already a very experienced diver. I didn't get the impression that he got much out of the course.

Ben_ca:
I think there should be a "Tech" rescue course.... :D

Maybe it should be the other way around. Rescue skills should be a part of every Tech course.

When I did my NAUI Tech courses (Technical Nitrox, Deco Proceedures, and Helitrox) We had to demonstrate rescueing a toxing diver. After bringing them to the surface, It was quite an eye opener towing a diver in a Drysuit and doubles!! Big difference!!

Rescueing a submerged diver is in every level of NAUI training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom