Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you practice with your team for valve drills, etc.? Do you practice such that you will resolve your problem without resorting to your team, e.g. signal them but be shutting down first? Sometimes your team isn’t there.

Maybe I should have used the term Self Reliant.
Which is smart. We had one of the local GUE instructors diving with an experienced visiting GUE diver. It was a high current dive, both had problems simultaneously that they had to resolve themselves.

They did a writeup about it but I lost my copy. I will add that I highly respect that they were transparent. Each diver wrote about the incident from their perspective. Too often people bury their own mistakes instead of using it as a learning opportunity for everyone.

Sometimes the team breaks down, so ultimately you have to be self reliant.

Do you practice with your team for valve drills, etc.? Do you practice such that you will resolve your problem without resorting to your team, e.g. signal them but be shutting down first? Sometimes your team isn’t there.

Maybe I should have used the term Self Reliant.

Yes we practice as a team. There are 4 of us that basically exclusively dive together. We routinely practice skills during ascents, as for the specifics of the valve drill. It's both, signal team while shutting down, then the team assesses the kind of failure you're dealing with and determines if it's fixable/non-fixable and the team makes a decision about the next steps to take.

Thanks for the feedback. I do think this instructor should learn from his mistakes and unfortunately a lot of my friends were trained by him. I thought the attached picture I took was normal for one of his Tech 40 grads. I found out through my reading that it is far from normal.

That doesn’t look like a comfortable diver especially with that massive snag risk above their head. Was it not hooked under the torch canister? (Or knife scabbard).

The GUE training I received basically said if air is all that's available and the END isn't too deep (so less than 100ft) then dive air. There is no GUE air MDL table, but the reality of the training is more pragmatic than you're making it out to be.
Going to DM to not muddy the waters here

The three key variables to technical diving are knowledge, technique and configuration. It can take several attempts to sustain proper trim when using doubles of various sizes (some trim better than others). The focus should be: can you reach the manifold valves during a shutdown drill? Many a would be technical diver has been duped into buying the first CCR they set eyes on, or were easily persuaded by their peers’ lack of good taste and judgement— particularly when there are options to try several units and configurations. Therefore, I would not be disheartened by past experiences. Placing a V-weight may mitigate the problem in the short term.

Achieving results for little outlay is what distinguishes adept technical divers from the rest.

The three key variables to technical diving are knowledge, technique and configuration. It can take several attempts to sustain proper trim when using doubles of various sizes (some trim better than others). The focus should be: can you reach the manifold valves during a shutdown drill? Many a would be technical diver has been duped into buying the first CCR they set eyes on, or were easily persuaded by their peers’ lack of good taste and judgement— particularly when there are options to try several units and configurations. Therefore, I would not be disheartened by past experiences. Placing a V-weight may mitigate the problem in the short term.

I think you should change your name to Bob. As in Robot.

That paragraph is just random crap that makes little or no sense.

V-weight on CCR???

I suggest you only post stuff when you're sober.

V-weight on CCR???

I suggest you only post stuff when you're sober.
You implied I mentioned using a V-weight on a CCR. If you had paid more attention to the OP’s query, you would have noted he was concerned with trim while using doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom