Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Precheck or no precheck. If I can't breath, shouldn't I just switch regs or reach back and turn on valves?
Makes sense, but then that is if you are an experienced tech diver. I have no idea what's going on in some else's head so I have no judgement of my class mate.

Great feedback. That’s what I suggested to my instructor, but he said several students have passed with the current rig configuration of his rental to me.

with the only wet notes instruction saying “your buoyancy sucks.”
These 2 comments raise every red flag I can think of. I know the pain of losing that money is real, but think of it as school-fees invested in learning the importance of selecting an instructor properly moving forward. NOT your fault, you don’t know what you don’t know, but I would suggest some SB searching on the topic of choosing an instructor before you commit to the next person.
You should be experienced in diving double backmount config before you start Tech 40

Unfortunately you do not meet minimum criteria for Tech 40 course.

You are crying in internet that many things are not working for you.

Now you are not prepared (mentally and physically) for tech diving.
Ok, as others have pointed out, there is NO prior way of getting doubles trained in PADI before the course the OP was enrolled on. My first time in doubles was on my 50m course, there was no way in RAID to get it earlier. Sure, I could go do a doubles course with UTD or GUE but it is the instructors job to teach the full course material, and on these initial deco courses that includes the configuration changes. Should they all have significant experience with stage tanks before hand, etc? If so, how?

I believe that the OP has demonstrated an admirable attitude that I would expect from all my tech students. They had an issue, they asked their instructor, when they weren’t satisfied with the answer they received so they asked for a second opinion and when those second opinions indicated they had a problem, they thumbed the course. That is the definition of “thinking diver” to me.

I was an OW instructor when I started technical diving, and I can say with full confidence that starting with doubles is one of the most humiliating experiences of my life. With that memory in mind, when I see a new Tec 40 student struggling on his first checkout dive, we just informally delay the official start of class and dive for a while until the student looks comfortable in the doubles. If the diver is new to drysuits (as I was), that may delay the official start of class even further.

That may be an issue in Arizona……
Under 6 hours from Phoenix (assuming that's where the OP is located) and Zen Dive Co. in Pasadanena. It isn't like he's in Iowa or Kansas.

Let's take a look at pure facts:
1) You do not have experience and skills in diving backmount doubles configuration.
2) Your instructor is useless and does not help you at all
3) You are crying in internet that many things are not working for you.

Let me tell you brutally honest truth. Tech diving is not for weak and sleazy divers. If you make mistake, you die. Unfortunately, my very good friend (who was experienced cave diver drowned in Maexico caves as he made mistake). I would suggest to you to get more experience from good instructors to get appropriate backmount diving skills and then to think about tech diving. Now you are not prepared (mentally and physically) for tech diving.
Jesus dude you have no social skills. He shouldn't be a technical diver before starting the technical diving course. Not everyone can acquire the equipment and becoming proficient BEFORE being taught how.

Under 6 hours from Phoenix (assuming that's where the OP is located) and Zen Dive Co. in Pasadanena. It isn't like he's in Iowa or Kansas.
I actually keep a sailboat in San Diego and use it often as a crash pad for diving in the area. Also have connections in Ventura county which I am originally from and learned most of my diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom