Tec computer with Trimix and A.I., is Suunto HelO2 the cheapest option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KD8NP8, Thats so far from the truth. Just because you violate what a computer tells you because you're following a precut plan doesn't mean that nitrogen is fizzing out of you.

Correct.

However, you violated the computer's algorithm.

By the computer's computations, you are bent.

If you're not going to follow the dive computer, don't dive with that dive computer.

Not going to keep arguing because you are apparently stuck in your ways. That's the beautiful thing about the SW, it adjust to what you want to do. That is why I prefer using a BT or a SW.

If you're not going to follow the dive computer, don't dive with that dive computer.

I think that is the perfect advice for anyone who thinks it is possible that during a dive they may possibly have good reasons not to follow the dive computer. Since I can think of several such reasons, I will continue to follow that advice.

I think what people are missing is the OP wants to spend his money wisely. AKA doesn't want a 5 step process to get to the correct dive computer. When you look at all the options "computers" out there, the big features are what is seen AI, Color, Backlit, Nitrox, tri, ETC. So getting advice from people that are doing what you want to do "Tech diving" then spending the money on equipment that will get him or her to where they want without the 5 step process is money well spent.

I'm newer diver then the OP but I have been certified for the past 14 years, I finally have the $$ ability to get back into diving. I have no computer right now, but buying a 900 computer VS 1500 computer that I think I want is money well saved. So I would ask those that say go get classes first keep in mind we want to dive now as well, but want something that will work all the way up to where we want to go. Yes the classes will come, yes the knowledge and experience will come. But does everyone have to burn their hand on the stove to learn that you can get burnt by touching the stove?

Hope this makes sense and I mean no disrespect just want to point out so items and things that I think some may have forgotten about or missed along their learning in this fun sport

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info in this thread and hope it continues.

...want something that will work all the way up to where we want to go.

At your current rate of dives per year, you'd be needing a trimix computer sometime around the year 2064. I think the technology of a contemporary purchase may be slightly defunct by then.

An extreme example... but it makes a very valid point. Computer technology and decompression theory both evolve. There's little point trying to 'future proof' with such technology.

Where are you getting a 1500 dollar price? I bought mine slightly used for about 400$ and amazon.com lists the HelO2 for just under 1000 dollars. Simply Scuba in the UK has them for 359 Brit pounds.

At your current rate of dives per year, you'd be needing a trimix computer sometime around the year 2064. I think the technology of a contemporary purchase may be slightly defunct by then.

An extreme example... but it makes a very valid point. Computer technology and decompression theory both evolve. There's little point trying to 'future proof' with such technology.

LOL DevonDivrer ....

Yeah valid point but that will soon be changing for me, Its something I have wanted to do but didn't have the time or $$ to do it properly until recently... Kid is moved out, job is stable, cars are paid for even going to Mexico in a few weeks.

So back on topic.

Back on topic...

The computer/s are probably your last purchase, if you ever really need to buy them at all. Get everything else first. Allow some spare money for changes, modifications and mistakes with your set-up. Focus on the training as a cost factor. I don't mean to rush through training levels, but to actively seek out and obtain the very best training you can afford. Even if that means more travel/expense. It's worth it. Beyond that, allocate significant money to fund regular technical diving. Dive plentifully between training courses, at each level you reach. Tech is not a place for card-collecting and zero-to-hero.

For what it's worth, I've still not managed to justify the expense of tech computers - and tech diving is my day-to-day work. There's always far better things to spend the money on. :wink:

I have the HELO2 and it sucks. I planned a tec dive with GUE's Deco planner, a perfectly safe profile with stops at 21, 18, 15, 12, 9 and 6 m, with 50% and 99%. The HELO2 only suggested a deep stop and pushed a single, long deco stop at 6 m on 99%. It locked out because it required another 4 min at 6m beyond what deco planner planned, and then locked out for 48 hrs.

I used it in gauge mode from then on, which is about the only use I found for it. I agree with Devon above, put your money in the training and other gear that you are properly trained to use. Computer is probably the last thing you need as the AI for at least Suunto stinks for tec diving.

I have the HELO2 and it sucks. I planned a tec dive with GUE's Deco planner, a perfectly safe profile with stops at 21, 18, 15, 12, 9 and 6 m, with 50% and 99%. The HELO2 only suggested a deep stop and pushed a single, long deco stop at 6 m on 99%. It locked out because it required another 4 min at 6m beyond what deco planner planned, and then locked out for 48 hrs.

I used it in gauge mode from then on, which is about the only use I found for it. I agree with Devon above, put your money in the training and other gear that you are properly trained to use. Computer is probably the last thing you need as the AI for at least Suunto stinks for tec diving.

Why didn't you use the Suunto Dive Planner, which is the same algorithm as the dive computer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom