Question Teaching OW with backplate and wing from the very beginning ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just went out to my workshop to grab a specific screwdriver. There are at least a dozen screwdrivers here in my home, but the short slotted tip, with the full-sized handle was going to be perfect. Even then, I had three variants to choose from and settled on my ancient Mac circa 1980. It separated the two clam shells perfectly, with little effort, and I didn't get hurt. While I have at least a dozen screwdrivers in my house, there must be over a hundred in my shop. I've used most, if not all of them. But I wanted just that one for this job.

Then there's my massive socket collection: metric, imperial, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and even 1" drive with extensions and drivers to match. If you need a tool, even an obscure one, there's a good possibility that I have it. Why? There are so many diverse types of fasteners and variations, and I can deal with just about all of them without heading to Ace.

But, if all you owned was a hammer, then your entire world is a nail. Think about it. I have three side mount rigs, a half dozen BP&Wings, not to mention the hybrids and those without wings. Every dive is different and I choose my setup accordingly. If variety is the spice of life, I have it made.

The beauty is they can be used from day one on the most benign basic fun dives too! And they work fantastic! And for the same price or cheaper than a jacket.
It doesn’t get any better than that!

And can even cure the common cold and bring about world peace :p

As far as weights, I personally have two trim pockets added onto the plate and wear a weight belt if I am require additional weight. There are also add-ons you can get for integrated pockets, or weight harnesses.
I, myself, like having most of my weight on a weight-belt and a third of the weight in my ditch-able weight pockets. What sort of ditch-able weight pockets are available for a backplate? (Also: why are stainless book screws so expensive?) When wearing a weight belt with a crotch strap, I've seen guys buckle the weight belt under the crotch strap. I am guessing that in the back the weight belt should be OVER the crotch strap, correct?

Also with a 4lb stainless steel backplate, can I expect to use 4 lbs less lead than I use with a BCD?

Also with a 4lb stainless steel backplate, can I expect to use 4 lbs less lead than I use with a BCD?
Maybe even more, since you’re eliminating some excess padding.

What sort of ditch-able weight pockets are available for a backplate?

I just use a couple of Halcyon trim weight pockets on the waist belt, unless I happen to be using their weighted bellows pocket on the right side(no pockets on my 5mm Henderson suit).

I, myself, like having most of my weight on a weight-belt and a third of the weight in my ditch-able weight pockets. What sort of ditch-able weight pockets are available for a backplate? (Also: why are stainless book screws so expensive?) When wearing a weight belt with a crotch strap, I've seen guys buckle the weight belt under the crotch strap. I am guessing that in the back the weight belt should be OVER the crotch strap, correct?
Why bother? If you're in desperate need to ditch weight (usually at the surface) then you can also pop the crotch strap (if it has a buckle like mine).

Most put the weight belt under the crotch strap intentionally. It’s easy to pull free if you need to ditch it. Since the crotch strap connects to the bottom of the plate, it would make the belt too low if it were placed on top.

You can have ditchable weight pockets (if you need more) on your waist strap.. However, I'd advise ensuring that you trim out effortlessly.

Yes, but maybe a little more, as jacket style BCDs have a lot more buoyant material than a simple harness.

Maybe even more, since you’re eliminating some excess padding.
I recently had to use a jacket style BCD (2 different brands) for two weeks of diving. It had been years since I wore one. I could not believe the bulk involved. I felt like I was diving with an inner tube around my waist. That bulk creates buoyancy.

You can have ditchable weight pockets (if you need more) on your waist strap.. However, I'd advise ensuring that you trim out effortlessly.
Plese elaborate, Wetb4.
With my current BCD setup, I but 8 lbs in my ditch-able pockets and wear 15 lbs on my weight belt. I feel better having the ability to drop as little as 4 lbs at a time as opposed to having to drop all of my weight on a belt.
I understand that after introducing a backplate I may only need 18 lbs of lead total. I still like the idea of diversifying the weight locations. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom