TDI TRIMIX DIVER and deep air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as stated above the agency youre certified with will determine max depths and DAN will not cover you if you breach your training.
Check the wording of your policy carefully. DAN has different policies, and there are other insurance providers with their own policies.

The DAN policy I have would cover the OP's dive.

EDIT: In a recent thread, a person with Dive Assure contacted the company and was clearly told that they will not cover a dive that exceeds the levels for the certifying agency. IIRC, the agency was SSI, and the representative for the company said that because the diver was OW certified and the SSI certification for OW was 60 feet, the diver would not be covered on a dive deeper than 60 feet. (Yikes!)

My DAN preferred policy has no such limitations. It is open to any diver.

I think the wording in this part is very clear..

"diving to maximum depth of 60 metres/200 feet with a blend of helium appropriate for the planned depth"

Maximum PO2 of 1.4. Maximum END of 40m / 130 feet.

I think the wording in this part is very clear..

"diving to maximum depth of 60 metres/200 feet with a blend of helium appropriate for the planned depth"

Maximum PO2 of 1.4. Maximum END of 40m / 130 feet.
Clear as mud. Max PO2 and END are subjective and not always agreed on. I think 1.4 and 130 is reasonable, some think 1.4 and 100. Others think an END of 180 is perfectly fine. Who decides what is “appropriate”? If there’s no consensus, there is no standard.

Hi,

I have my TDI advanced nitrox and decompression procedures certifications, so I'm legally allowed/trained to go to 45m with any blend of nitrox.

So if I take the trimix course, I will be certified to dive "utilizing as little as 18 percent oxygen and diving to maximum depth of 60 metres/200 feet with a blend of helium appropriate for the planned depth" (TDI's website).

The wording is a bit inclear, would that include/cover a dive without helium below 45m? Or would such a dive necessarily require the extended range certification because there's no helium?

Thanks!
No, that's REALLY clear. It requires helium. How much? That is according to the depth and the dive plan that if you take the class you will know how much is needed. In none is available, that goes into the dive plan and the MOD is adjusted accordingly.

Clear as mud. Max PO2 and END are subjective and not always agreed on. I think 1.4 and 130 is reasonable, some think 1.4 and 100. Others think an END of 180 is perfectly fine. Who decides what is “appropriate”? If there’s no consensus, there is no standard.
The training standards are absolutely clear on those points.

The training standards are absolutely clear on those points.
But are they? TDI teaches Trimix and deep air. Thus the agency defines “appropriate” END as 55m/180’.

If the OP takes TDI Trimix, does his card define END max? Mine doesn’t.

But are they? TDI teaches Trimix and deep air. Thus the agency defines “appropriate” END as 55m/180’.

If the OP takes TDI Trimix, does his card define END max? Mine doesn’t.
The training standards for TDI Trimix do not specify a minimum He content, only that O2 must be at least 18%. You could infer that the Trimix cert could cover use of air to 200 ft/60 m, but that may not satisfy an insurance company.
The training standards for TDI Extended Range are silent on gases, although the material refers to "deep air."

The training standards for TDI Trimix do not specify a minimum He content, only that O2 must be at least 18%. You could infer that the Trimix cert could cover use of air to 200 ft/60 m, but that may not satisfy an insurance company.
The training standards for TDI Extended Range are silent on gases, although the material refers to "deep air."
I get all that…just pointing out that the term “appropriate END” is not a standard…but a vague statement. If it was a standard, then it’s 180’ as per TDI…since they endorse officially that END in an approved course.

I’m not arguing the merits of deep air, I’m on a rebreather…I can afford helium.

I get all that…just pointing out that the term “appropriate END” is not a standard…but a vague statement. If it was a standard, then it’s 180’ as per TDI…since they endorse officially that END in an approved course.

I’m not arguing the merits of deep air, I’m on a rebreather…I can afford helium.
And my point is that your insurance company needs to agree with what you are doing.

I personally think Extended Range is a terrible idea; my narcosis level even in benign conditions is unacceptably high. The skill set (carrying two stage cylinders) is the same in both courses. My mind begins to crumble around 35-45m. I have enough dives on air beyond 40m in various conditions to not be comfortable on deep air.

And my point is that your insurance company needs to agree with what you are doing.
True…and mine does.
I personally think Extended Range is a terrible idea;
So do I. I’ve done 170/180 on air…much prefer helium. But that’s our choice. The fact is that certain agencies not only condone it, but actively market it as a class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom