TDI TRIMIX DIVER and deep air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyndle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I have my TDI advanced nitrox and decompression procedures certifications, so I'm legally allowed/trained to go to 45m with any blend of nitrox.

So if I take the trimix course, I will be certified to dive "utilizing as little as 18 percent oxygen and diving to maximum depth of 60 metres/200 feet with a blend of helium appropriate for the planned depth" (TDI's website).

The wording is a bit inclear, would that include/cover a dive without helium below 45m? Or would such a dive necessarily require the extended range certification because there's no helium?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have my TDI advanced nitrox and decompression procedures certifications, so I'm legally allowed/trained to go to 45m with any blend of nitrox. ...
I'm not sure you mean "legally allowed/trained." You're diving in the USA, correct?

rx7diver

No most likely diving around South East Asia, but I said legally because my main concern is insurance (those ******* always try to screw you whenever they can).

Basically if something happens at 47m on a deco dive with Air + Nitrox (no He), is there a risk of the insurance telling me I'm not covered because I am only certified to dive :
- up to 45m with Air/Nitrox
- up to 60m ONLY with a mix containing some Helium

Or does a Trimix certification means I can dive up to 60m with whatever mix a deem appropriate?

In the USA, so far as I know, scuba certifications aren't legally required, normally. I might "need" a certification if a LDS won't sell me gas without seeing one, or if a dive op will not allow me on its dive boat without seeing one, or if a dive op will not allow me to do certain dives without seeing one, etc. But, this isn't a legal requirement.

And I fully expect my accident/health/death insurance policies (including my DAN insurance policy) to pay out appropriately, regardless, normally.

I would expect this even, for example, if someone decides to do a deep air dive with deco on back gas, even though he/she has an extended range certification or technical nitrox certification. Or if he/she decides to do a deep air dive or advanced deep air dive, even he/she has a tri-mix certification.

I don't know if things are different in places other than the USA, though.

rx7diver

Interesting, I just looked at my DAN contract and indeed I cannot see anything that says I have to be certified.

However my normal insurance (covers recreational up to 30m) does require a training certification.

I think I'll email both TDI and Dan to be certain, but that's reassuring :)

As far as I know is a certification required for tech diving. (Dan and aquamed)
And you need to stick to the "rules" that re made by Agencys.

Deep air to 40+ is indeed not allowed by all Agencys.. so I am also very interested in DANs response. Usually a ead of 40 should not be exceeded

"utilizing as little as 18 percent oxygen and diving to maximum depth of 60 metres/200 feet with a blend of helium appropriate for the planned depth" (TDI's website)
Air is not an appropriate gas for your planned depth regardless of what the insurance says.

Personally (and I think most would agree with me) 45m without helium is dumb. I know that's the AN/DP standard, but even 45m needs a little helium in the mix. Anything deeper definitely needs helium! TDI has an extended range course (certification to 54 meters on air). That course needs to be retired. If you're interested in diving to these depths, just do your Trimix course and dive with the appropriate mix.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with deep air at 45m. Is it ideal, obviously not. Folks dive air at that depth all the time without incident.

your standard travel ins wont cover none recreational dives -as stated above the agency youre certified with will determine max depths and DAN will not cover you if you breach your training.

I wont say not to do deep air but i can assure you if you get into difficulty at depth you will need all your cognitive abilities - narcosis and stress/pressure will turn your brain to mush

Back
Top Bottom