TDI (Technical Diving International) Nitrox Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I am researching to take my Nitrox course. I have found a dive store (not in our area) that teaches TDI (Technical Diving International) Nitrox. Has anyone had any courses through TDI, is it quality material and a reputable certification body?

Just never heard on them in our area, and was searching for an opinion, and I know I will get some honest ones here :)

Thanks

but not because of being TDI, the instructor was the key element.

The manual could stand some vigorous editing, but overall the course provided the info that was needed to dive nitrox.

Currently taking Adv Nitrox/Deco with the same instructor. These TDI manuals are even worse than the one for Basic Nitrox. But once again, it's the instructor, not the agency, that I'm paying for.

Thanks, let me know how the advanced goes. Yes that is primarily why I took it was the instructor. My PADI instructor in the area did not teach Nitrox so I had to venture out. As u see in my signature I am predominately PADI so this is my first time venturing out in the agencys. Just wanted to make sure they all talk the same language.

I just finished TDI Nitrox, and I was satisfied. Sure the manual could use a little editing, but it reads extrememly easily and has a nice conversational tone. Again, it's really the instructor that matters.

For the record, I believe the TDI course requires that you demonstrate your ability to analyze a nitrox tank, but it doesn't require any actual dives, whereas NAUI/PADI may require dives. I'm not sure what use the actual dives would be, so long as dive PLANNING and gas analysis is well-covered in the classroom. (I could be wrong about the NAUI/PADI requirements.)

Have fun!

SCDiver once bubbled...
....Just wanted to make sure they all talk the same language.

No they don't all talk the same language. TDI is mainly drunken goober (to borrow a phrase). I am surprised that you could not find something better in your area.

omar

I am TDI Nitrox Certified. It's the instructor, not the agency that makes the difference. If you find a good one, take the course. Good instructors wont just give verbatim info from the course manuals, but will instead use it as a general guide for the class. A good instructor is a good instructor, regardless of agency.

astrofunk once bubbled...
whereas NAUI/PADI may require dives. I'm not sure what use the actual dives would be, so long as dive PLANNING and gas analysis is well-covered in the classroom. (I could be wrong about the NAUI/PADI requirements.)

Have fun!

I can't speak for PADI, but NAUI does require two dives, which must be repetitive. The instructor is required to give the students tasks to do during the dives, and this is easy to do. Also each student is required to track and record their depth every 5 minutes during the dive, so it can be graphed after the dive and CNS O2 clock can be calculated. This also allows them to take a look at their PO2 throughout the dive and reinforces the fact that they must repsect the limits that come along with diving Nitrox.

Also some students tend to have verying experiences which they like to share with each other.

I can't see teaching someone to use a new gas mixture and not allowing them to dive it.

CrazyC

I agree with the above comment that it is the Instructor
that is going to make or break the course....

I have taken TDI courses in:

Advanced Nitrox, Deco, Ext. Range, Cavern, Intro Cave, and
Advanced Wreck.

Yes, I do agree that the TDI books could be better...but
they did provide good information for the course.

I went with TDI also because of the Instructor not the organization.

The courses were all very well done and safe.

I also flew out of state to take my classes.. Colorado to wonderful
Florida.

I took My basic nitrox class w/ SSI and the course was just classroom, requiring no 'real' dives.

But again the SSI instructor was 110% into teaching the class..
He stuck with us to insure that are first few dives were educational and very safe.

Omar, it sounds like you had some dealings with TDI that
did not go to well ?

bob

SCDiver once bubbled...
Has anyone had any courses through TDI, is it quality material and a reputable certification body?

No it is not quality material. Everyone on here has indicated that but in the same breath dismiss it. I do not subscribe to that same standard. The training material is a direct reflection of the knowledge and expertise of the agency.

In addition, there are some serious ethical questions regarding the founder and some past directors/leaders of TDI. I would strongly urge you to do some more looking around.

As much as I dislike PADI they do have a solid (but limited) beginner nitrox course. Some other strong programs are ANDI, NAUI and of course GUE. I have PADI and IANTD EANx certifications.

omar

Omar,

Not to start a war here but I need to point something out to you. You mentioned that TDI has had prior "ethical issues" that cause you concern. What about IANTD? I mean come on!! ANDI is on its way out the door as a cert agency because everyone has strayed away from them. At least here on the east coast. I have Adv EANx and Deco Theory from TDI and I thought the course was well presented. The book reads like a children's story but all the information that you need is there and your instructor should be the key element in your training. It sounds to me as though you are biased for some reason. Would you care to give specifics??

James

:getsome:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom