Tdi not dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I could delete this thread I would but just forget it Im leaving this site now forever & going diving, see you round nereas

Krumpette, if it means that much to you, then find yourself a good GUE-DIR instructor and stick with that. They have fairly good protocols that you will get to memorize that avoid a lot of thinking on your part.

Krumpette, if it means that much to you, then find yourself a good GUE-DIR instructor and stick with that. They have fairly good protocols that you will get to memorize that avoid a lot of thinking on your part.

You really don't have a clue, do you? That's fine, but why do you insist on advertising this fact?

Krumpette, stick around. Filter out the static and you'll find lots of good info here.

Over the years I had several flight instructors and I learned something from all of them - even the poor ones. One was a crop duster some were miltary and some were either part 91 or part 141 commercial pilots and or ATP's. There is nothing wrong with getting a wide range of experience. I also had the priviledge of flying a wide range of aircraft and again learned something from each one. In the end, I learned a lot more than the average pilot who went through a factory flight school in 1 or 2 aircraft types.

I think the same thing applies to technical diving, so single instructor or agency has a lock on everything worth knowing. In regard to DIR, its optimized for the cave environment and if you look around it won't take you long to find a DIR diver who deviates from the herd to adapt to and optimize his or her configuration for the specific conditions. I am pretty sure Jersey reels are not standard DIR fare, but they are nice to have if you find yourself looking at where the hook used to be in a stiff current with lots of deco in the north atlantic. It's not exactly a negative, its confirmation that a significant number of DIR divers are more than able to think for themselves.

With regard to a second SPG, I don't personally see the need with manifolded doubles, but it is pretty simple to run a second spg over the right shoulder on a fairly short hose and secure it to the right shoulder strap as I do on the rare occasions I find myself with independent doubels.

On the other hand, the failure point argument against a second SPG is over blown. In 23 years of diving and over 1500 dives I have never had a significant leak due to an SPG. I have had one small stream of very tiny bubbles type of leak in a HP hose going bad, I have had one equally small leak due to a bad o-ring in a HP spool and I have never had a high pressure o-ring leak - it's captured and if it does not leak when it is installed it won't leak if you don't mess with it. Besides the HP o-ring does not really count as you still have the same o-ring and the same potential failure point with the plug in the reg.

Both the other failures were directly related to poor maintenence, ie: my fault. The hose was suspect and the HP spool was way (years) over due for replacement.

In short, if your instructor sees value in a second spg, consider it and pick his or her brains on the reasons why. But don't get hung up on the "failure point" issue as it is a miniscule risk that if it ever occurs is most likely a minor leak and at worst results in a totally separated hose (think evil bad guys cutting hoses mayube?) that you address by shutting down the post - it ain't gonna kill you.

Once you finish the course make your own decisions and configure accordingly.

Hi, doing my first tdi courses & have bought some ds4's I routed the hoses the same as dirdiver.com but my instructor wants us to have 2 spg's. what's the views on this & when I do I cant get my regs set up as good. This guy is anti dir & thinks his way is the better way with everything:shakehead: If I could get a refund & do it with someone else I would. I think a tdi Instructor that doesn't know dir & how to set up a manifold because he only dived indys & now a breather is not good.

First and foremost you chose your instructor, so let's first deal with that. I assume that you own all your equipment, 2 sets of doubles, 2 sets of stage bottles, all the regs you need for the Adv EAN and Deco Procedures course? Or are you relying on borrowed and rented gear?

Independant doubles is NOT a bad route to go. In fact you will find its quite popular for the traveling diver when doubles are not around. Mastering managment of indies is a pretty good skill. Never the less you might want to have this conversation with your instructor first and find out what his plan is along the way. He may have you use indies for some dives and manifolds for others. Find out first and be open to learning some different approaches.

Cheers

Use your common sense! Since you cannot fix the problem underwater, you will need to resolve it later, and go with the most conservative reading in the meantime.

Did that seem like rocket science?

Are you normally this rude or are you just having a bad day?

What exactly do you mean "since you cannot fix the problem underwater, you will need to resolve it later"? Maybe a self confessed rocket scientist like you could explain in simple terms for a stupid ex military officer with hundreds of hours in fast jets and a couple of university degrees who has been diving for 25 years what you mean? Golly, maybe you could attach a couple of more SPG's just in case the first two don't agree? Maybe even a wireless transmitter for extra redundancy? How about an underwater calculator that lets you calculate the average of all your SPG's?

Thanks for the replys I was being a whinger, Ill just do the course & next time Ill do it through someone else, but anyway I don't like this guy just like alot of you on yourself tekies, you can have your **** together without loving yourself & thinking your great if some tek head :dork2: wanted to act like my dad on the street I'd smash his head in. Rebreather or twin tekie I don't care one day I'll be as experienced or more than them. And to all the nobs on this site that want to reply like a smartass nerd :lotsalove:. Nereas your a tosser mate.

What's a tosser?:popcorn:

What exactly do you mean "since you cannot fix the problem underwater, you will need to resolve it later"? Maybe a self confessed rocket scientist like you could explain in simple terms for a stupid ex military officer with hundreds of hours in fast jets and a couple of university degrees who has been diving for 25 years what you mean?

If one says "1000 PSI and one says "2000 PSI" it means either the isolator is closed or one or both of the gauges is broken.

It also means that you have a problem and it's time for you and your buddy to abort the dive.

Seems simple enough to me.

Terry

If one says "1000 PSI and one says "2000 PSI" it means either the isolator is closed or one or both of the gauges is broken.

It also means that you have a problem and it's time for you and your buddy to abort the dive.

No, it means nereas is confused and he has to go to the surface to get his computer and google his answer.

Seems simple enough to me.

Terry

If you are looking for simple, a flow check every five minutes and you will be physically reassured that your isolator is open. Personally, my gas planning prior to my dive lets me know within a couple of hundred psi how much gas I should have at any given point in the dive. Moreover, if I feel I am way out to lunch, I can double check with my buddy (buddies) as to the state of their gas supply. If I think my SPG is NF, thumb the dive. My brain is my other SPG.

Now in case you think DIR is a cure-all to everything, here are the things that I find inadequate about DIR procedures:

1) that you are often diving in buddy groups of 3, which I find inferior to the normal two-person buddy team;
2) that you are taught to utilize deco-on-the-fly versus more sophisticated deco software such as V-Planner;
3) that you are required only to have one depth gauge timer (they don't like to call them computers), which of itself fails the redundancy criterion;
4) that in the name of gear reduction, you are forced to become buddy-dependent on your 3-man "team";
5) that you are given certain "standard" gasses to use, rather than taught to think for yourself in choosing various bottom mix and deco mix combinations.

["Brainwashing" arose as a term in English during the 1950-1953 Korean War, wherein if something was repeated to you enough times, you believed it, no matter what. Translation of Chinese (Mandarin) xǐ n
acaron.gif
o : xǐ, to wash + n
acaron.gif
o, brain.]

Too bad that every single one of your points is WRONG. Where do you get this crap? Stop GOOGLEing everything. If you want to comment on DIR stuff take a course from a GUE instructor (or one that has taken a GUE class or has been mentored), get it from the source, and then comment...otherwise quit acting like you know something.

For the OP: You pick your instructor that is to your liking. Interview him/her, then go from there. There are MANY good instructors out there, some are DIR some are not..as long as they can defend their choices. It's not the training agency it's the instructor. Case in point, I have a dive buddy who is a TDI/PADI instructor, GUE trained (Cave 2). His recreational PADI Wreck class resembles a GUE-F class...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom