TDI - Intro to Tech - Necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mergulhador do Delray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am beginning to plot out my progression into tech diving. Just curious what the consensus is on the actual utility of TDI's Intro to Tech. Is it valuable as a precursor to ANDP or is it just another credential?

Thanks!

My understanding is it should help to get your core skills sorted out.

Much overlooked, but core skills -- buoyancy, finning, trim -- are essential prior to embarking on diving beyond recreational limits.

Once they're sorted and you know your kit and standard drills, then the ANDP is a doddle.

The other alternative intro course is GUE Fundimentals -- AKA Fundies. Thought I'd get that in first :)

I suppose it depends on how good your basic skills are right now and how much remedial work your AN/DP instructor is willing to do with you. Some instructors want your basic skills--buoyancy, trim, propulsion techniques, familiarity with the tech gear configuration, etc.--to already be good to excellent when you show up. Others may be willing to tack on extra time before getting into the mechanics of tech diving. Whether it's Intro to Tech, a similar course from another agency, or some less formal instruction/mentoring, you'll need to have the basics down before getting into the mechanics of tech diving.

Many instructors will want you to do it before doing AN/DP to make sure you’re ready. Whether you do that, or just tack on an extra 2-3 days to your tech course ultimately won’t matter tho. No one has ever asked to see an intro to tech cert :wink:

Originally my local shop said it was a waste of time for me. I already had a good idea of what was going on. So I skipped it. That said, probably should have had it, probably not through them. As I have progressed I am finding myself missing some simple basic tech stuff.

Knowing what I know now, GUE fundies class. Even if you don't pass it or adapt all the teachings. From others I have been around that is the better intro to tech class to take. After that go back to your regular tech classes. I'm even thinking of going back and taking it now that I know a lot more about what I don't know.

Thanks for the responses.

I wouldn't be considering this at this point without the encouragement of people who do know what they're doing! So, I am told the buoyancy, trim and propulsion are all more than sufficient to start tech. But I practice this too, on every dive. I learned my first day out that I didn't like the feeling of bouncing around and not being in control of my depth, direction and speed. With that in mind, I made the conscious decision to practice at least half of every dive on basics. As a result, my trim is as horizontal as I want it to be without thinking too much about it, my finning is ok (other than back-finning which still gives me fits), and I can hold my position in the water column (+ or - a foot) for 15 or more minutes, launch a DSMB without flailing about.

I am not familiar with gear configuration. So I guess that is the question. Is there some course that will concentrate on learning how to dive with twinsets so that I have those mechanics down and integrated with the basics before adding in the additional tasks involved in the "tech" part of technical diving?

If it helps, I won't start this until May or June. Which will mean that I'll probably have an additional 60 to 80 dives under my belt before tech starts.

Many instructors will want you to do it before doing AN/DP to make sure you’re ready. Whether you do that, or just tack on an extra 2-3 days to your tech course ultimately won’t matter tho. No one has ever asked to see an intro to tech cert :wink:
I am sure they haven't. I am one that likes to do things step by step. But I also don't much like a bunch of wasted steps. So I am just trying to figure out which steps are generally considered to be a part of a solid foundation and which are nice, not really necessary and don't add that much.

I am not familiar with gear configuration. So I guess that is the question. Is there some course that will concentrate on learning how to dive with twinsets so that I have those mechanics down and integrated with the basics before adding in the additional tasks involved in the "tech" part of technical diving?
The skills you mentioned--buoyancy, trim, propulsion, etc.--need to be good in the tech gear configuration. I thought my skills were great, but I was diving a single Al 80 and in a wetsuit. Then when I set my sights on tech and started using a twinset and drysuit (you being in VA are probably already using a drysuit) I felt like I was learning to dive all over again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom