TDI and hyperoxic trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's just the mod in me wondering why a self confessed DIR practioner shows up in a TDI forum asking about a hyperoxic trimix class. Is he interested in taking the class or interested in starting a debate about the (dubious in my opinion) benfits of using trimix at 120 feet. Given the direction the thread has taken I'll assume the latter - and then if I weren't a mod maybe return the favor by trolling in the DIR zone.

With TDI you can get the full range of styles being taught. Fully DIR compliant to the most anti-DIR combination possible. It is all based on the instructor and TDI standards pretty much allows any/all the different permutations that can be found.

30/30 is a valid standard gas as per GUE and it would be a gas that could be taught in the standard TDI trimix course.

So, basically your post about TDI and DIR means you really do not understand either one.

JeffG (Advanced Trimix TDI card carrying DIR natzi)

We are on the same page. I'm not saying there is anything wrong w/ standard gases, or GUE gas planning. I think it is a very good way of doing it and a good system in general. But it isn't the only way of doing and I don't think it is fair to assume that if you are not practicing GUE standard gases that you are a cowboy. That's all I was trying to say.

The basis of standard gases is ease of blending.

(excluding the 30/30 gas) add x amount of of helium and top with 32% and you get a "standard" gas.

Using a standard gas over and over again gives consistent profiles and allows "rule of thumb" type rule engines (such as Ratio Deco) to work. (The assumption here is that you wouldn't have X number of ratio deco rules for all the different combinations of helium/O2.)

<snicker>

Life is pretty funny..........:D

Yes it is.

Why don't you share with the rest of us?

The basis of standard gases is ease of blending.

(excluding the 30/30 gas) add x amount of of helium and top with 32% and you get a "standard" gas.

Using a standard gas over and over again gives consistent profiles and allows "rule of thumb" type rule engines (such as Ratio Deco) to work. (The assumption here is that you wouldn't have X number of ratio deco rules for all the different combinations of helium/O2.)

Yep, I get it. Like I said before, I understand the system (in theory if not in practice) and I think it is a good system. It had not been mentioned before, but the gas blending makes a lot of sense as well (using 32% as a core and adding the appropriate amount of He). So we agree on all of this. I'm just trying to say that its not the only "correct" way to do it and there are merits to both approaches. Did I miss something here?

I'm just trying to say that its not the only "correct" way to do it and there are merits to both approaches. Did I miss something here?

I was just giving the main reason why it exists. No judgment of either correct or incorrect.

I do not believe that the OP is trolling. From his posts here and elsewhere, I know that he would LIKE to take the GUE RecTriox class, but it's rarely available and is currently under revision. He has the same desire I had, to be able to add some helium for deeper recreational dives in cold water/low viz situations.

Some agencies have recreational triox classes that limit divers to very low helium mixtures, so trying to figure out which will permit the use of 30/30 is a reasonable question.

I did mine with NAUI, which I believe normally uses 17% helium, but because of my instructor, my shop will fill 25/25 for me. It's all so byzantine :)

It's all so byzantine :)
Ain't that the truth. I've never seen so much fuss over understanding an MOD and being able to breath in and out. Well ... I haven't seen so much fuss and stupidity since all the powers that be thought EAN was devil gas. Want to take a good class? Dick Rutkowski's Blending Class, that and a good mentor is all you'll ever need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom