TDI adv.nitrox+deco.pros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boils down to the instructor...

I did the courses last summer and had lots and lots of pool time.

So it's not piece of cake? But how about those water drills? What kind of drills you have to complish?

include stowing/retrieving the stage bottle, deploying the stage reg/backup light/wetnotes/cutting device, S-drills, valve shutdown procedure, shooting liftbag, hover, heli turn, light signals, maintain proper buddy contact, etc.

Doesn't sound all that challenging, but transitioning from a single cylinder to doubles/stage/canister light, it can be a handful. I'd prepare to have your self-esteem drop-kicked at least a few times...

cyklon_300 once bubbled...
include stowing/retrieving the stage bottle, deploying the stage reg/backup light/wetnotes/cutting device, S-drills, valve shutdown procedure, shooting liftbag, hover, heli turn, light signals, maintain proper buddy contact, etc.

Doesn't sound all that challenging, but transitioning from a single cylinder to doubles/stage/canister light, it can be a handful. I'd prepare to have your self-esteem drop-kicked at least a few times...
But without the heli turns and add using a wreck reel..

Took both courses myself a few months back. First couple of days were tough but after that it really was fun and some of my most favorite dives. First dive was in doubles, first time, and was hit with all the drills. Talk about overload. Doubles take a bit of getting use to when you have never used them before. By the end of the course loved them. Much depends on your instructor as well. Mine started the course with doubles, ended with (2) 80's and (3) 40's, 150' for 1 hour and 1 1/2 hours deco. Welcome to tech diving...

Also found out when I went back to a single tank and recreational diving my breathing rate has improved drastically. If you do the courses, do home study to prepare and you'll enjoy it. Find out what software your instructor will use for deco and learn it ahead of time.

Kev

Does anyone else find it a little strange that you are allowed to take a 'technical' diving class without prior experience in doubles? It scares me a little that after a little instruction and a few dives in doubles/stages that you're doing deep and deco dives. And that is before factoring in narcosis.

I would expect that these skills should be done with proper trim and buoyancy - highly unlikely after just a few dives in doubles.

Did anyone else notice this?

No!

People starting these course should have got it already licked as recreational divers. I for one found no problems converting from singles to doubles and the courses teach you to do the drills in a controlled manner.

You don't given a set and told to go down to 40m and do gas shutdown drills - at least I wasn't.

I don't think my IANTD instructor has passed anyone on the minimum amount of dives either.

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom