Taxi Mafia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If depositing into a business account, an additional tax (on top of the 11% IVA) is levied after $1500 USD per month

one important point is that the $1,500 applies to USD cash only...euros and CAD and any other currency is not affected

credit card transactions are not affected either....pretty much everyone takes CC's except cabs and street vendors, so what's the big deal?

if you make cash 1,500 USD/mo in Mexico, i think the last thing you're worried about is paying some tax lol

one important point is that the $1,500 applies to USD cash only...euros and CAD and any other currency is not affected

credit card transactions are not affected either....pretty much everyone takes CC's except cabs and street vendors, so what's the big deal?

if you make cash 1,500 USD/mo in Mexico, i think the last thing you're worried about is paying some tax lol

You're kidding right? Because clearly you are not familiar with the cost of living or the way things work here, including the tax structure, etc. etc. etc.

Mexicans don't haggle? Are you kidding me?

I was in Cozumel last year on a cruise. Finished eating brunch and stepped out onto the street. This guy tried to sell us a glass bottom boat ride for the four of us for $100. I was fine with the price but we were just exhausted from a long week of sun and it was hottest in CZM that week. I asked the wife, she said no, and next thing you know the price was $90, $80, $70, $60.... I wasn't haggling at all. He was doing it all on his own.

BTW, as a potential customer / visitor, I can assure you that condescending attitudes will not attract my business. (And this isn't the first thread I've seen it in.)

Mexicans don't haggle? Are you kidding me?

I was in Cozumel last year on a cruise. Finished eating brunch and stepped out onto the street. This guy tried to sell us a glass bottom boat ride for the four of us for $100. I was fine with the price but we were just exhausted from a long week of sun and it was hottest in CZM that week. I asked the wife, she said no, and next thing you know the price was $90, $80, $70, $60.... I wasn't haggling at all. He was doing it all on his own.

BTW, as a potential customer / visitor, I can assure you that condescending attitudes will not attract my business. (And this isn't the first thread I've seen it in.)

I never said they don't haggle. And yes, as a cruise ship passenger, unfortunately the street vendors (including those who have the commission based reps out on the street) target you (collectively speaking) more.

Mexico has gotten better over the years about small change. It used to be a rarity to have 5p and 10p coins in your pocket. One of the main reasons I take down a surplus of US $1 bills for tips.

With today's rate of around 13:1, divided by ten and call the rest a generous tip.

Not Cozumel but...the Maldives operates on a US$ and Rufiyaa currency. The bank rate is $1 = 15.42 Rufiyaa. US$ hard currency is very much in demand here. Simply put because the dollar is an international currency and the Rufiyaa is not. Locals can get a 17:1 or more for hard currency.

In Egypt there was the same deal with Euro and Egyptian Pounds. Hard foreign currency has a much higher value as certain things need to be bought from overseas where the local currency is not recognised or exchanged at a pittance.

Taxi drivers in Egypt were the worst I have ever seen btw. Philippines wasn't too bad when you learned the fares. Certain areas of Thailand such as Phuket were extortionate beyond belief but for sheer 'attitude', I don't think you can beat the Egyptians.

Price-hiking in the Phils, Egypt, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka (to name a few) is very common for tourists. They're deemed to be rich (and ignorant) and it's almost a crime not to at least try and fleece them for an extra couple of bucks. 'Tourist prices' are used a bit like subsidies for locals. If a taxi driver only gets locals during the day, he makes very little- a couple of tourist prices can mean actually making a buck at the end of the day.

At least in Cebu, Philippines, drivers working typical 'tourist routes' also paid a kickback to a 'patriach' that extracted a daily/weekly amount for allowing the guy to drive the route. That is a 'mafia' system.

Sorry, Chief, while I agree with most of your posts,.

Finally a voice of reason.

on this issue I'm on the side of the Taxi drivers.

Whoops now the wheels came off the bus.

Even setting aside the tax issue that Christi raised,

I will agree with EVERYTHING Christi said about the taxes and what not. The question I ask is WHY is it more expensive for taxi drivers than other business that charge a more reasonable rate? If restaurants, shops and even Mega are giving 12 to 1 on the dollar, why is that too expensive for a taxi?

the Taxi drivers have every right to set whatever exchange rate they want, SO LONG AS they make that exchange rate clear up front.

Well sure they do. Invisible hand of the markets and all. Oh wait, no invisible hand.... More on that later.

Is an exchange rate of 10-1 "reasonable"? That depends entirely upon the circumstances and the desires of who is riding. If you are only in Coz for 1 day off a cruise ship, and all you are going to do is take a cab downtown to window shop and then back to the ship, maybe the extra 50-60 pesos it is going to cost you to pay in dollars is less than the lost time and hassle of waiting in line at a Cambio to change $20 into Pesos.

Well sure peeps want to spend dollars. After they buy a taxi ride at 10 to 1 they can jump out at Wet Wendy's and have a fabulous margarita and get a WAY better rate than 10 to 1 on the drinks.

Are there a lot better rates than 10-1? Of course there are, which is why I always change $400-$500 into Pesos at the Banks at the beginning of every trip.

No, sir, I think here you miss my point. There are way better rate than 10 to 1 available at restaurants and other shops. You can pay in dollars and get 12 to 1 easily.

But some people don't want to spend a minute of their vacations in a Bank lobby waiting for the next Teller, and don't want to even think about calculating exchange rates. If the posted rate for a taxi ride from the Casa Del Mar to Centro is 80 Pesos, and the Cab driver tries to charge 100 Pesos then THAT is a ripoff.

Well, that happens alot too, but save that for another day. Christi did the nice rate charts so you can KNOW now when that is happening.

But if the exchange rate he offers on Pesos is a bad rate - if you have the choice to pay 80 Pesos or $8 - then as long as the exchange rate was clear up front (which it is; everyone knows or has the ability to learn that EVERY taxi driver on Coz offers a 10-1 exchange on Pesos for Dollars), I don't see any ripoff. Of course, I also think that anti-gouging laws are generally a very stupid idea for economic reasons. Immediate spikes in price after a disaster, like a sudden rise in the price of electric generators or gasoline after a big storm, are exactly the kind of economic incentives needed to get supplies to where they are scarce. The anti-gouging laws of New York and New Jersey after the huge storm last fall didn't result in a faster recovery; in fact, those ridiculous limitations on rational reactions to markets slowed the recovery by weeks or even months. But I've gotten off subject, so I'll cut short my rant on stupid politicians.

Well, I really don't want to go down that road, but if you agree government should stay out of price fixing, then what do you think about the gov sanctioned taxi monopoly? I was never proposing someone should 'do' something about it. I was just expressing an opinion.

They have ALOT of political power. There was an article a while back about a tour group from Mexico City that was traveling on a bus tour. They brought the bus over to the island and the taxi surrounded and stopped it because it was infringing on their rights.

Again, I am not saying they are committing theft at that exchange rate; I am just saying I don't think it is justified by any reason I have read here yet.

Do they have the right to do it? Sure.
Does what I think about it matter? No.
Does it effect me? No, I seldom need a taxi and I carry pesos.

---------- Post added July 13th, 2013 at 04:52 AM ----------

Can't understand the complaints about the exchange rate. It's Mexico, the currency is the peso. If they are nice enough to accept a foreign currency, with the inconvenience to them of exchanging it, rounding to 10 to the US$ seems fair to me. I don't expect a cabbie to carry a calculator and check to the Internet for the current exchange rate. If they give me a fair fare and I'm near the end of a trip and running low on pesos, sometimes I just pay in 10/1 US$ to include a tip, but usually it makes way more sense to me to use pesos while in Mexico. But I do get peeved when they try to give me the "gringo rate", and the earlier example where someone was quoted a fare when getting in, and charged a higher rate before letting their luggage out of the trunk is terrible.

Is there a rate you would think wasn't fair? Like 8 to 1 or 5 to 1?

Of course a taxi is only a little cost. So maybe it doesn't matter.

What if it was diving?

Say it cost $1000 peso for a two tank dive.

If you went with a regular op using the current rate, that cost you 78.13US

Now if the taxis guys had a dive boat, that would cost you 100US. A difference of 21.87.

For 7 days of diving with the reg op, 546.91US

For 7 days with the taxi dive boat, 700US.

153US difference or a 28% percent increase. A 28 percent bump for currency exchange ought to be enough to get someone to kick you off the temple steps!

For that matter, send the taxi guys to my place, I will buy dollars from them all day long at 10.5 to 1. They can make an easy 5% return on those nasty dollars that are so hard to deal with.

The missus and I can take what? $10,000 in cash each undeclared on the plane right? So it would only take about 210,000 pesos to buy that $20,000 US. I imagine I could buy 210K in Pesos for like 16,535. Net me like $3464 per trip. Less travel expenses, say $2500 US per trip. Fly in with Pesos and out with Dollars.

Jeez, how many of Ray's Margaritas could I get for $2,500US?

I might be on to something here.

You're kidding right? Because clearly you are not familiar with the cost of living or the way things work here, including the tax structure, etc. etc. etc.

i lived in canada with 1500 a month lol, so don't tell me is not enough to live in mexico

1500USD=19000 mexican pesos at today's rate

take away 28% income tax rate for 2013 and you are left with 14000 pesos
cost of living for the basics:
rent 2900
utilities 900
monthly bus pas 350
food 1000
Total 5150

plenty more left for additional expenses

Not bothering to copy your rant Chief but honestly you ( and others) make it so complicated! If you have a problem with ANY exchange rate just pay in pesos. Simple. Taxi drivers (and others) exchange USD at 10:1 like it or not. You can deal with the rate, pay in pesos or WALK. Simple.
The other solution to the taxi driver frenzy created in this thread is to rent a car. It's our preferred way to get around. Someone start a thread about that! I am positive there will be page after page of OMG car rental stories, bribes, extortion and jail! Happy to live in my world..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom