Taxi hostages and running the gauntlet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem is that new operators cannot get a permit. .

Yea, taxi and dive boats are generally a limited number of licences. That is kinda of the way taxis world wide work right? At least pre-Uber.

Oh and on the dive boats there is a technical work around thing for MX citizens, complicated and without guarantee it will work, where you sue the government for denying you your rights, ect ect.

My first exposure to the Taxi Mafia was when several years ago someone brought 2 motorcycle-tricycle type things (are they called Tuk Tuk's?) where the driver sits up front and there is room for 2 passengers on a rear seat to provide an alternative transport to tourists. Legend is they were rolled off a dock into the sea within 2 hours of coming off the ferry. This story may, or may not, be true...but I believe it.

If someone chooses to avoid Cozumel because of the unwritten rules of the Taxi mafia, a 16% tax that they weren't told and didn't ask about when booking their dives, medical care that may not be up to American standards (or expense), dive boats without a permit, an entire family of five and a dog riding on one scooter...with no helmets, bait and switch tequila stores, crappy jewelry sales, or the inevitable Gringo Tax, so be it. They wont be missed. It merely increases the likelihood that my favorite post-dive table at The Thirsty Cougar will be available and maybe I will buy @ggunn a Negra Leon while I enthusiastically enjoy my beloved Bohemia Obscura and poblano pollo burrito.

It goes without saying that these negative experiences are the exception to the rule. For better or worse, Cozumel has grown to be what it is based on millions of very happy tourists, many return every year for the people, the diving, the beer, the food, the inexpensive vacation cost, the ease to get to, the world class diving, the beer, the sight of the Cozumel Mini Van, the beer, the diving, and to pay respects to Lola, the former Canine Mayor of Cozumel. (she hated me...but loved my wife!)

Safe travels to all, wherever you may roam.

Jay

That has nothing to do with it - the taxis are with Pedro - this crap happens all the time, you folks as few time a year visitors just don't hear about it
And Pedro just lost the election, I wonder if this will have an impact on the political clout the Taxi union holds.

And Pedro just lost the election, I wonder if this will have an impact on the political clout the Taxi union holds.

I dunno - this will be interesting times for sure. I liked Pedro but my local friends wanted to hang me for saying that - with that being said, the only party that was actually caught red handed purchasing votes in the state (Playa) was the party that won here. I was told the lady that won, her family member runs the taxi union - her family is very well connected... Time will tell but I think one coruption was traded for another is all that happened.

The vote was very close and no celebrations have been going on like I heard would happen - it was less than 1500 votes........

Back
Top Bottom