Taxi From Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not too bad, actually. Thinking back on it now, it probably took me closer to 40 minutes.
People also staying at Mary Carmen who flew in with you and took the shuttle were likely sitting at the bar with their second beer by the time you got there. :D

Last year I encountered the same issue. I was traveling solo. My flight was delayed and it was early evening by the time I cleared customs. There was nobody directing cab pick ups, Diego's was closed and I didn't see a single cab. I walked about 4 blocks before a cab arrived. Not fun when I am a short female in their 50's, schlepping scuba gear on sidewalks that look like a war zone. I avoid the shuttle because A) Staying further south, it takes a long time B) the time share sharks are annoying AF, and C) I like to stop at Mega before checking in to rental before checking in. When there this Feb, it was a 2 block walk but better.

Several weeks past I came in on a Saturday and was sitting near the front of the plane and only had a backpack. I breezed thru immigration and customs in less than 10 minutes. I had decided to come down late the previous day and had not arranged a ride and didn't want to wait a 1/2 hour for folks with checked bags to fill a shared van so I walked out and started down 65th.
I noticed a spotter car from what looked like the shuttle union and a car from the taxi police park at intervals on 65th, watching me like hawks. Multiple taxi's went by and wouldn't stop until I got about two blocks from the transversal. Prior to that several taxi drivers looked at me and held up their hands to show they couldn't pick me up as they drove by, empty.

Yup. Had the same experience a month ago. I only had my carry-on so I just walked down to Mary Carmen. Took about 20 minutes.

That reminds of the time we did the exact opposite. We came over from the mainland on the ferry. We were tired and it was HOT. We asked a taxi driver to take us from the ferry terminal to Villa Las Anclas. He was honest and said you know that is walking distance and only few blocks away. We were well aware but it was worth the 100 pesos or whatever he charged us.

Last year I encountered the same issue. I was traveling solo. My flight was delayed and it was early evening by the time I cleared customs. There was nobody directing cab pick ups, Diego's was closed and I didn't see a single cab. I walked about 4 blocks before a cab arrived. Not fun when I am a short female in their 50's, schlepping scuba gear on sidewalks that look like a war zone. I avoid the shuttle because A) Staying further south, it takes a long time B) the time share sharks are annoying AF, and C) I like to stop at Mega before checking in to rental before checking in. When there this Feb, it was a 2 block walk but better.
As to (B), I don't see how timeshare "sharks" affect the situation other than that you have to spend a couple more minutes in the terminal to get your shuttle tix, and even then if you just ignore them or show them the palm of your hand fingers up they get the message pretty quick and move on to someone else.

That reminds of the time we did the exact opposite. We came over from the mainland on the ferry. We were tired and it was HOT. We asked a taxi driver to take us from the ferry terminal to Villa Las Anclas. He was honest and said you know that is walking distance and only few blocks away. We were well aware but it was worth the 100 pesos or whatever he charged us.
If it was at the taxi stand by the ferry and he was next up, he had to take you on that short hop and then come back and go to the end of the line. Maybe he was trying to hold out for a higher fare.

I had a tricycle porter load my bags once when I arrived on the last ferry of the night, and then he told me to get on! He took me all the way to Suites Colonial, and after a long day of delays, I was very grateful. At the airport, I take the shared sardine van as there is no way I am dragging my huge load to the circle and beyond, but I do try to get the front seat.
:wavesmiley:

I had a tricycle porter load my bags once when I arrived on the last ferry of the night, and then he told me to get on! He took me all the way to Suites Colonial, and after a long day of delays, I was very grateful. At the airport, I take the shared sardine van as there is no way I am dragging my huge load to the circle and beyond, but I do try to get the front seat.
:wavesmiley:
I go for the front seat as well because I am the family videographer and my opening shots are from the plane window as we approach and land on the island and through the windshield of the shuttle as we travel to Blue Angel. The shuttle from the airport is always a cheerful ride, as all the passengers are high on ending a day of traveling (some have had very long days) and finally getting there. We talk about dive sites, restaurants, day trips, and stuff all the way to the hotel, and sometimes we run into folks we have met that way later in the trip. I do not mind the shuttle ride at all; in fact, I enjoy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom