Taxi Fare ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This last trip the shuttle guy made me buy an extra ticket from the airport for our bags (we had three plus carry ons). Usually I tip a buck or two per bag. Not this time. He didn't come out ahead on that stunt.

That is ABSURD!!! They cannot do that! People coming off the plane have luggage - they are getting totally greedy with that! What about all of the other people in the shuttle that had luggage? Did they also have to buy tickets for their luggage?

I am having a really hard time getting the taxi fare chart - they won't give me a copy, but the secretary at the taxi office keeps saying she will send it by e-mail - I will stay on this!

This last trip the shuttle guy made me buy an extra ticket from the airport for our bags (we had three plus carry ons). Usually I tip a buck or two per bag. Not this time. He didn't come out ahead on that stunt.
I can imagine how badly I would react to that one...!! :mad:

I am having a really hard time getting the taxi fare chart - they won't give me a copy, but the secretary at the taxi office keeps saying she will send it by e-mail - I will stay on this!

Taxi Mafia being the Taxi Mafia. The lack of them on the internet makes me think it doesn't exist.

Can you get a pre printed on and take a pic of it? I can convert to a PDF and host it if you can.....I would like to know new fares before I come in July so I don't pay 1 red cent more than I can haggle with the piratas......errrrr taxi mafia.

That is ABSURD!!! They cannot do that! People coming off the plane have luggage - they are getting totally greedy with that! What about all of the other people in the shuttle that had luggage? Did they also have to buy tickets for their luggage?

If the mindset is anything like Playa, it will be very difficult to get. The last time the zones and rates were reconfigured, there were at least 1/2 dozen people working on getting the new zone maps and rates, and it took well over a month. The last driver that we hired (from Playa to the airport), worked on me for nearly the whole trip trying to get me to divulge where and how I'd gotten the information. He expressed a great deal of surprise that I had it, and that it was accurate.

Christi, don't take it personally, as one of the "detectives", was a 20+ year ex-pat, another was a 6+ year. This is information that they do not want in the public domain.

If the mindset is anything like Playa, it will be very difficult to get. The last time the zones and rates were reconfigured, there were at least 1/2 dozen people working on getting the new zone maps and rates, and it took well over a month. The last driver that we hired (from Playa to the airport), worked on me for nearly the whole trip trying to get me to divulge where and how I'd gotten the information. He expressed a great deal of surprise that I had it, and that it was accurate.

Christi, don't take it personally, as one of the "detectives", was a 20+ year ex-pat, another was a 6+ year. This is information that they do not want in the public domain.

Not taking it personally :) (and just for info, I am a 13+ year ex-pat) but they are required by law to provide it! I am trying to get it directly from the taxi office - but if I can't - I will hit up a few of the taxi driver friends I know - I was just trying to get the OFFICIAL one straight from the taxi office.

If I were a taxi driver, I'd charge DandyDon for his overweight bags!

But more seriously, how strict is the compliance with the rate chart? Most tourists aren't in a position to know the posted rates and would be unlikely to argue with a cabbie quoting a higher rate. If a cabbie quoted a fare of $15 to the airport, that's probably what he'd get paid. BTW, that's what I paid from the Occidental Grand last April, bags and all.

We just got back from Coz. We had eight in our group plus bags. We each paid $14 for the taxi (van) ride from the airport to the Occidental Grand. $112 total one way. Did we, pardon the pun, get taken for a ride?

We just got back from Coz. We had eight in our group plus bags. We each paid $14 for the taxi (van) ride from the airport to the Occidental Grand. $112 total one way. Did we, pardon the pun, get taken for a ride?

The latest price I have for the shared van to Iberostar is 141 pesos per person one way. Sounds like they were using 10 pesos per USD. Another example where using pesos saves a bit of USD.

The 10 to 1 conversion is common, and paying $14.00 per person to the Occidental is within the ballpark by around $2.50 overcharge per person. Now of course, that does add up, and $2.50 is $2.50. That is why I like to keep a small amont of Peso on hand to use for my next trip. This way, I walk up to the Ticket Booth and can pay with Peso. Paying in USD is fine and easy enough, however, as long as the game is played somewhat fairly,then it can be at least acceptable. Now for instance in Gordon's case, when an extra ticket is required for luggage then I think the overcharges are not fair.

The latest price I have for the shared van to Iberostar is 141 pesos per person one way. Sounds like they were using 10 pesos per USD. Another example where using pesos saves a bit of USD.
Doesn't the shared-ride ticket booth take credit cards?

I thought so, too, but since the extra ticket cost about what I would have tipped for handling the bags (which I didn't do of course) it was not a big deal. The driver only screwed himself.

FWIW, the female official there at the shuttle zone backed him up when I questioned it..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom