Tanks for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If cost is a consideration, rent the tanks. If taking the tanks out of the garage and going diving is the goal then buy some.

Everybody that says it is more cost effective to rent tanks is correct. No question about it. By the time you figure in annual VIPs and hydros every 5 years, the numbers look worse and worse. But what about the times you just want to rig some gear? Or jump in the pool?

Nevertheless, there is no justification for buying as many tanks as I have or as many as I plan to add. I just want to.

Compared to the boat I want to buy, tanks are chump change.

Richard

I want to thank everyone who has posted here you all have been a great help.

I've decided that I'm going to go a head a buy a new HP100 this weekend. I hope to add at least one more as soon as possible. I like the idea that with my own tanks I can dive at my own discretion and not have to worry if the LDS is open or that they are going to get upset because I have their tanks longer than they would wish. If I went with rentals I have to schedule time to pick them up and then make time to drop them off again. Two trips into town each and every time I want to dive. That would start to get pricey quick. With my own tanks I can have them filled anytime I just happen to be in town instead of making a special trip and then just toss them on the boat when I need them.

Knowing that I want my own tanks the question comes down to this. What tanks should I buy? I hate buying something only to find out later that I want upgrade to something better. I'm not the type of person that has to have the best and newest, but I am the type of person that would rather buy quality the first time. It always costs much more to buy "entry level" and upgrade later. So if I can afford it way not buy quality first?

My LDS pointed out that if I take care of these tanks I could get my money back out of them fairly easily where as used AL80's are a dime a dozen. I just can't find a downside.

I want to thank everyone who has posted here you all have been a great help.

I've decided that I'm going to go a head a buy a new HP100 this weekend. I hope to add at least one more as soon as possible. I like the idea that with my own tanks I can dive at my own discretion and not have to worry if the LDS is open or that they are going to get upset because I have their tanks longer than they would wish. .

Your rationale makes perfect sense. Enjoy your diving!

I don't know that there are a lot of choices in tank manufacturers - at least for new tanks. Worthington is the big player in steel tanks and XS Scuba is one distributor. So, you see X7-100 tanks around which are the Worthington HP 100. There are also some Faber tanks around but they tend to be HEAVY!

You might look at this: Dive Rite Express -- How to Select a SCUBA Tank Note the discussion about diving with Nitrox and how you might want a larger tank because your no-decompression-limit is increased dramatically.

You can get some idea of weight and buoyancy characteristics here: Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan and here: XS Scuba Worthington Steel Cylinder Specifications <- click on the Download button to get more detailed information.

Personally, I am going to stay away from LP cylinders. I realize the low pressure is easier on the regulator but the darn things are HEAVY for a given volume. I'm not one that favors overfilling the tanks even though I realize it is done every day. It is more likely that a LP cylinder will get a complete fill.

It is inevitable you will wind up with a Worthington tank and your likely choices are between X7-100 up through X8-130. It all depends on how you like carrying an extra 12# or so when you choose between the 100 and the 130.

If you are diving off a boat, tank weight is probably not important. If you have to traverse the parking lot, walk down the steps and trudge through the sand (in knee deep snow, uphill in both directions), tank weight could be real important.

Sometimes you will get a short fill. This is common on dive boats. So, an HP 100 may only get 80 cf and an HP 80 might only get 64. The smaller tank, although lighter, won't go very far with a short fill.

Another thought: if you can hump the HP 130, it is very possible you can get two dives off a single tank. It all depends on what your buddy is using. If they use an Al 80 with only 77 cf (actual capacity) by the time they leave 500 psi in two tanks of air they will only have 128 cf to actually breathe. If you leave 500 psi in the 130 you will have 111 cf. Not a real bad mismatch if you have a somewhat lower SAC rate.

If you plan to use Nitrox at some point in the future, you need to consider whether to have the tank Oxygen Cleaned and Nitrox labeled at the time you purchase it. Sometimes the LDS can throw this in for making the sale. Once cleaned and labeled you need to have it filled with suitable clean air. Normally, this is the same air they use for blending - sometimes called Safe Air.

If you decide to skip Nitrox for a while, you can always have the tank cleaned when you change your mind. With this scheme, you don't care what kind of air is used to fill the tank; it isn't clean anyway. Well, sure, the air has to be suitable for diving. But it doesn't have to be suitable for blending.

Richard

What he said.......A tank is done if and when it fails hydro.

Yup yup. I have two LP 72's, both originally hydro'ed in like, 1952. I am not worried about these tanks "expiring" anytime soon either. I have a Catalina AL80 from 1998 that will probably fail before the steels, but I am not worried abou that tank either...

As for the downside of HP tanks, perhaps? Something I haven't seen mentioned yet, HP tanks should really be used with DIN valves and regs. If you already have purchased a yoke regulator, consider the cost of converting...

Might I suggest you do a bit more research into tanks.

The Worthington line is called almost the same as the XS-scuba..A worthington x7-100 is the same as an xs scuba x7-100.

The HP 100 is the designation of the older Faber tanks... the equal to the worthington line is the Faber FX series.

There are slight differences in weight between the two... but it is trivial... the X7-100 weights 33 lbs.. the FX-100 is 34.3.. however.. when you go to the larger tanks... the X7-130 weights in at 43 lbs and the Faber FX-133 is 42.7..

There are also slight buoyancy differences which tend to somewhat favor Worthington (depending on where they are used).

However, I own all Faber... because they are fairly easy to get at a great price...sometimes an amazing price...and to me, lower cost means I can afford more of them.

I like the TDL reference page...

Scuba Cylinder Specifications from Tech Diving Limited - 928-855-9400

If you are a big person, I would suggest the 120's from either company.. as they are 7.25 diameter tanks.. if you are normal size or small... then the 100's...and would let price be your guide.

Note: I don't own that size, because I got super prices on what I have.

Note2: Faber also makes a 149...so if you are huge..however, have not seen any at a really good price...or would be tempted.

I don't know that there are a lot of choices in tank manufacturers - at least for new tanks. Worthington is the big player in steel tanks and XS Scuba is one distributor. So, you see X7-100 tanks around which are the Worthington HP 100. There are also some Faber tanks around but they tend to be HEAVY!

You might look at this: Dive Rite Express -- How to Select a SCUBA Tank Note the discussion about diving with Nitrox and how you might want a larger tank because your no-decompression-limit is increased dramatically.

You can get some idea of weight and buoyancy characteristics here: Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan and here: XS Scuba Worthington Steel Cylinder Specifications <- click on the Download button to get more detailed information.

Personally, I am going to stay away from LP cylinders. I realize the low pressure is easier on the regulator but the darn things are HEAVY for a given volume. I'm not one that favors overfilling the tanks even though I realize it is done every day. It is more likely that a LP cylinder will get a complete fill.

It is inevitable you will wind up with a Worthington tank and your likely choices are between X7-100 up through X8-130. It all depends on how you like carrying an extra 12# or so when you choose between the 100 and the 130.

If you are diving off a boat, tank weight is probably not important. If you have to traverse the parking lot, walk down the steps and trudge through the sand (in knee deep snow, uphill in both directions), tank weight could be real important.

Sometimes you will get a short fill. This is common on dive boats. So, an HP 100 may only get 80 cf and an HP 80 might only get 64. The smaller tank, although lighter, won't go very far with a short fill.

Another thought: if you can hump the HP 130, it is very possible you can get two dives off a single tank. It all depends on what your buddy is using. If they use an Al 80 with only 77 cf (actual capacity) by the time they leave 500 psi in two tanks of air they will only have 128 cf to actually breathe. If you leave 500 psi in the 130 you will have 111 cf. Not a real bad mismatch if you have a somewhat lower SAC rate.

If you plan to use Nitrox at some point in the future, you need to consider whether to have the tank Oxygen Cleaned and Nitrox labeled at the time you purchase it. Sometimes the LDS can throw this in for making the sale. Once cleaned and labeled you need to have it filled with suitable clean air. Normally, this is the same air they use for blending - sometimes called Safe Air.

If you decide to skip Nitrox for a while, you can always have the tank cleaned when you change your mind. With this scheme, you don't care what kind of air is used to fill the tank; it isn't clean anyway. Well, sure, the air has to be suitable for diving. But it doesn't have to be suitable for blending.

Richard

Might I suggest you do a bit more research into tanks.

The Worthington line is called almost the same as the XS-scuba..A worthington x7-100 is the same as an xs scuba x7-100.

That's because the XS Scuba X7-100 IS a Worthington tank. XS Scuba just peddles them, they don't make them..

Hence the link title: XS Scuba Worthington Steel Cylinder Specifications

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom