Tanks for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a side note, Diver Direct has a sale on their 117 fabers... excellent price...

I know, just as blue steel is a Faber tank...You called the worthington an HP-100...and stated that the Faber are heavier..

In fact it's questionable :) At least here in Ontario / I just bought 2 XS 100 HP after doing all math and it turned out that after the 27th rent it will start paying back. as the rental price for the same tank is 15CAD a day and 30CAD for the weekend. And I got mine for 375 CAD each. So if I had an access to low rental rates I would not bother buying. I spoke to few experienced divers and all said it's cheaper to own them here. I guess each place has it's own consideration.

Greetings Stormingheaven and welcome to SB / dive community! In my opinion you are sound in your reasoning for looking into steel. Knowing what I do now, I would have started the same way. But I do not regret AL 80's, purchasing 5 of them maybe a little.
I love the buoyancy of steel and as others have mentioned they can last a long time if properly maintained. Just yesterday at the LDS someone remarked their steel's born on date was 1972! Tanks are still going passing visual and hydro and he loves them.
So welcome to tank ownership educate yourself and the only way you get experience is to dive. Now that you have your own tank it just gets easier!
Enjoy and good luck with your purchase!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

If I was the OP I'd be sure to try the HP100s before buying. At 6' 2" I'd be concerned about that short a tank trying to put me head down in the water.

Especially for LP Steel tanks...

I suppose maybe after 50 years? maybe?

I am with PvtStash on the "expire" comment I have several steel tanks (8) and 2 if my favorites are a 1960 voit, and a 1954 USD renea. And yes they are current and i do dive them.

as far at the steel 100 goes is it is a good tank, a bit heavy but still manageable.

Back
Top Bottom