tanks boots, etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boots are, like many things, are a tradeoff or plus and minuses. They will stand up in certain types of boat racks and are a great convenience when filling tanks on a boat. Also, some boots will prevent a horizontal tank from rolling. They allow the tank to stand up when attaching the regulator and BC. Also, some people rely on a standing tank for ease in donning. However, a tank with boot does not fit well into a horizontal rack, the type made from PVC tubes strung together. Also, they cannot be easily pulled or slid from such a rack. A boot entraps water and causes corrosion. I have seen painted tanks condemned because of rust under the boot.

From the viewpoint of the underwater swimmer, the boot adds length and minor weight biased to the bottom end. However, some boots accept trim weights and may be useful for those who need need negative trim. The boot increases the diameter resulting in some drag, especially with the larger tanks. There is a small possibility that something like fishing line could hang up on the boot edge.

Normally, I do not use boots. However, I install a boot on single tanks when I know that I will be filling these on board a boat. I don't recall noticing any difference in drag when diving a booted tank but this is relative. As has been said, the boot adds only a small percentage of drag, especially when only a single tank of medium to small diameter is used. I never use boots on double tanks. To compare the overall drag of a tank and place the issue in perspective, try diving without a tank.

Pesky

UP, how exactly do you use nailed-to-the-wall tank boots to hang hoses on? Got a picture, please ?

=-)

Originally posted by buff
Come on, Uncle Pug, you really can't compare your profile to that of a jet powered aircraft, traveling at 350mph!!!!!

Sure ?

Originally posted by buff
Come on, Uncle Pug, you really can't compare your profile to that of a jet powered aircraft, traveling at 350mph!!!!!

Divers are more like a lumbering sea turtles.
Well now I've never seen you dive so I'll have to take your word for it...

Anyway... back to the analogy... any ideas about the drag difference between water and air? What do you figure the difference is ratio wise?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom