Tank valve weight variation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tmassey should you get incredibly bored and want to extend your tank list even further.
Here are some valve weights.

Thanks! I really appreciate this!

I'm going to compile the list in grams for a little more resolution but I'll convert these over ;->

Do have have a DGX tall valve?

I'm going to start adding some info up here when I get home tomorrow (on a 24hr shift right now)...
I have some dgx tall valves, but they are installed on tanks. I will try and remember to weigh one at some point during a visual.
I bought a few sets by mistake one time. I hate them for doubles. They are kind of nice in sidemount. More real estate for a bungee wrap.

I didn't do them in grams, but if I learned anything in college, it was there are 3.5 grams in an eighth. Or 28 grams in an ounce if you are rich.

@tmassey should you get incredibly bored and want to extend your tank list even further.
Here are some valve weights.

Did you really do that in ounces? Was that just to trigger @Wibble? :)

Definitely not that bored. But I will definitely mention that post in the tank spec thread. It’s interesting to see that there isn’t a whole lot of variation in weight: A couple of ounces over a 70 or so ounce manifold: a 5% difference.

Thank you for taking the time to do that. If I can find some time in the next couple of days, I’ll see what I have in the way of loose valves. I don’t think I have any “good“ valves sitting around at the moment: just old yoke-only valves. But more data can’t hurt.

Did you really do that in ounces? Was that just to trigger @Wibble? :)
A while back I was building an ultra-light AR15. Trying to fight the weight of each piece, and trying to trim off small amounts of weight anywhere I could. Each ounce, or even 0.5oz would add up across enough pieces.

The problem I frequently ran into, was that any time ounces were listed, they were generally inaccurate or very rough. I'd have to then spend a lot more time trying to research the actual weights. That said, user-weights were almost always accurate, whether oz or grams, because people were specifically measuring components for the purpose of weight-saving.

I have some dgx tall valves, but they are installed on tanks. I will try and remember to weigh one at some point during a visual.
Same! Mine are all currently installed but they’ll be up for visual in a few weeks so I can add them then.

I’m currently living in the US but grew up as a metric heathen and then ended up as a scientist and then into a medical field so unless I’m weighing people I tend to work in those units 😋

Are you trying to measure dry weight or buoyancy in water?

Are you trying to measure dry weight or buoyancy in water?
Valves are dense enough, that dry-weight should tell you most of what you need to know. There's probably little difference between a valve's weight (or "bouyancy") in the water, versus out.

Valves are dense enough, that dry-weight should tell you most of what you need to know. There's probably little difference between a valve's weight (or "bouyancy") in the water, versus out.
Yeah, I'm not redoing it with a spring scale and a bucket.

Yeah, I'm not redoing it with a spring scale and a bucket.
We're also going to need you to dunk your valves in salt-water and check the buoyancy there as well.

We're also going to need you to dunk your valves in salt-water and check the buoyancy there as well.

And, you know, in Mediterranean sea water, Caribbean sea water, Red Sea sea water, Thailand sea water. You know, any place someone might want to use them. :)

No matter what measurements you take, it seems there’s always another level of precision: Vienna Standard Mean Ocean Water - Wikipedia (which has absolutely nothing to do with seawater, really…)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom