Tank valve weight variation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DDKL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I'm trying to get a better idea of the variation in weight between different tank valves (brands / types) and was wondering if anyone would be willing to weigh a few and post them here with brand and type attached. Photos for ID would be good as well.

I'm most interested in modular valves. If you are able to post can you specify if the valve had any of the following installed: Dip tube, din-yoke insert, manifold blanking plug.

My baseline for a modular valve is dip tube and blanking plug installed, no din-yoke insert.

Thanks,

D.

There are websites with weights listed. Valves vary a little, but nowhere near as much as cylinders.

Found this one (alas the Imperial measurements):

Much better one here:

A little misunderstanding I think... I'm after the weights for JUST the valves ;->

I haven't been able to find any listings for valve weights anywhere and while it's a small amount of variation I'm interested in what that variation is as it's weight at one end of the tank and so smaller amount has the potential to make a difference in a few situations...

Probably find the first stage weights also; plus the type of tank mounts, big bolt-snaps or smaller ones.

Definitely! I already use some of my first stages for certain purposes due to the weight variation. I can dive with the variation and work with it but I'd prefer to have it optimized as much as possible before starting. My aim is to be able to have a better idea of how a given tank / valve combo will sit without having to assemble and test each combination...

I've been considering putting this info together for a few years and finally decided that I might as well ask around.

Slight challenge is that we rarely have a valve in the hand that's not bolted -- tightly -- to a tank!

Yup! I’m doing the ones I have loose right now and will do each other one when the tank comes due for a visual…

Slight challenge is that we rarely have a valve in the hand that's not bolted -- tightly -- to a tank!
Yep, and there are many additional manufacturers, and models to deal with. A crowd-sourced spread-sheet for this info might be useful. I'd be interested in some other data, like what threading each valves has (or comes in).

I'll be your huckleberry. If you need any other valves, just ask.
Weights are in pounds and oz.

Dive Rite 200 bar Modular with plug
IMG_2447 Small.jpeg

Sherwood genesis 300 bar modular with plug
IMG_2448 Small.jpeg

Thermo Isolator cross bar
IMG_2449 Small.jpeg

Thermo non isolator crossbar
IMG_2450 Small.jpeg

OMS Isolator Crossbar
IMG_2451 Small.jpeg

Thermo H valve
IMG_2452 Small.jpeg

Thermo 200 bar modular with plug
IMG_2453 Small.jpeg

Generic K valve
IMG_2454 Small.jpeg

Thermo 200 bar convertible
IMG_2455 Small.jpeg

OMS 200 bar small neck 7/8" manifold
IMG_2456 Small.jpeg

OMS 200 bar 3/4 neck manifold
IMG_2457 Small.jpeg

DGX 200 bar manifold
IMG_2458 Small.jpeg

DGX inline 200 bar
IMG_2459 Small.jpeg

DGX 200 bar modular with plug
IMG_2461 Small.jpeg

DIN Insert
IMG_2462 Small.jpeg

Thanks! I really appreciate this!

I'm going to compile the list in grams for a little more resolution but I'll convert these over ;->

Do have have a DGX tall valve?

I'm going to start adding some info up here when I get home tomorrow (on a 24hr shift right now)...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom